Can I prevent screen time out while in car dock?

Last Updated:

1. SteveRyan

SteveRyan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want the screen to stay awake in the car dock even when its NOT charging. Both of my power outlets are broken, so I cant charge it while driving. Kinda bothers me that the screen wont stay on.

I tried running a stopwatch in the background, but she timed out anyway.

Advertisement
  2. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

Use KeepScreen from the market. It's free and you tell it which apps to keep the screen on. Make sure you exclude from your task killer.

3. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Plug it into a power adapter/charger? Mine stays on when I have it plugged in.

I'm afraid to see how quickly it would eat my battery if I left the screen on with GPS and navigation running.

ETA: reading fail. Fix your 12v outlets in your car. You may need them someday.

4. djz2279

djz2279 Member

I actually use Locale. It's a little pricey, but to me it's worth it. What Locale does (if you don't already know) is allows you to create scenarios where you want different settings for those different scenarios. For example, Locale will sense your phone is on the Car Dock and whatever settings you want it will automatically change the phone to those settings. When my phone goes in the car dock ringer goes up to 100%, screen never times out, my Google Talk changes status to In the Car and my speakerphone is enabled! I also really like this for work because as soon as I get near work my ringer goes to vibrate, so I never have to worry about did I turn the volume down on my phone or not. Very innovated program!

5. tdunn

tdunn Member

There is an app on the market called DockAwake! which does want you want. It's only $2.99, which is much cheaper than overpriced Locale.

6. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Use ScreenModeWidget. It will do the same thing but it is free in the market...free is always better! :D

7. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I'll throw in my recomendation for locale too.

8. UBRocked

$10 for an app that controls settings like ringer volume, etc...just seems CRAZY to me but I haven't tried it...saw that there are a slew of plugins as well (some are free, some aren't...what am I missing???

I don't mind paying for apps but come on...

9. square

square Well-Known Member

i use setting profiles. free if you only want one rule (which this would be) $3 if you want unlimited.

10. SteveRyan

SteveRyan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks man. I forgot that I had that app.

Although Locale is pricy, its pretty sweet. You can set it to automatically silence the phone when you walk into a movie theatre, library, or any location of your choice. The developers won $275,000 for it in the 2008 Developer Challenge.

There is a similar app that will send you reminders based on your location. Like when you walk into the grocery store it can flash you your grocery list.

11. square

square Well-Known Member

and they still charge $10 for it. wow.

12. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

agreed. i wouldn't mind them charging $5 though. $10 seems pricey for any droid app.

13. superdorf

If there is any other app available that does what locale does I could see the price bashing, but I don't think there is a ONE app that can do what locale does.

I also don't know why people always expect that apps will either be free or $1.99... I just don't get it.

14. square

square Well-Known Member

maybe not. but i replaced locale with two apps for a total of $3.

15. proginski

proginski Active Member

I replace locale with tasker (Tasker for Android) still in early beta but seems to work better with gps than local did for me...Phil

16. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

Setting Profiles does pretty much everything that Locale does, with few other tings thrown in, and it's less than half the price.

17. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

i use an app called "Toggle Screen Timeout" i put the icon on one of my home screen and a single press disables the timeout, and then another press sets if back to your regular setting. it's a free app in the market. i tried the "ScreenModeWidget" app, it worked fine but i couldn't stand how ugly the widget looked on my screen. "Toggle screen Timeout" does what i want and isn't to terrible to look at, especially when you use it as part of a "more icons widget".

anjoga likes this.
  18. superdorf

Which two?

Do they change profiles based on GPS locations?

19. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Toggle Settings is free, and while you cannot currently create new profile,s it does allow you to play with the 11 that are built in, including a location aware profile as well as others.

And it is free.

20. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

I loved Locale until it went out of beta. 10 bucks is too much. Also, I hear it's actually buggier now.

21. square

square Well-Known Member

setting profiles, it has gps options...i don't know how well it works, i don't use it (didn't with locale either). and wallswitch (free) to change my wallpaper daily.

22. superdorf

Ok... So you don't know if it does what locale does, but you can still bash the price...

I understand that $10 apparently is too much to some people for an app, but there is no need for bashing the app.

So locale can change my wallpaper based on any situation, gps, dock, time, battery level, etc... In fact it can change about anything based on those situations.

I used the beta and now the pay version. To me the pay version works better. It is more stable when determining a location, and has more features.

23. square

square Well-Known Member

yes. i still "bash" the price. if locale works for you. good. i said it does what i used locale for... for for 30% of the price...that works for me.

24. UBRocked

Please see the original post. The original poster wanted to know if there was a program that could keep his screen awake while being used in a car dock (without car charger). Not really a problem I would spend $10 bucks to fix.

$10 is pricey for any app in my opinion cause I'm cheap like that. :D If you want an app that can do all of the things that I'm sure locale does (and probably does well), then maybe $10 is a steal. I don't know that anyone was "bashing" the app though.

25. anjoga

anjoga Well-Known Member

This app works great. Very simple.