• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Can I publish my clients' apps through my own developer account?

t5red

Lurker
May 20, 2015
Hi,

Some of my clients prefer that I develop and publish apps for them using my own developer account. It saves them from the hassle of creating a new account and paying the registration fee. Is this allowed under the Google Play Store's terms and conditions or policy? Can I publish apps for them under my account?

Thanks

I guess you could, as long as they pay you for that service. After all, you are saving them money for not having to have their own account.
The downside is that they do not control the account.
The downside is that whenever they need to change things, if they no longer have you employed, or want someone else to code for them, you will still be in the middle of that situation.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I know there are plenty of companies who have official apps published on the Play Store under the name of whichever consulting/developing firm actually did the coding (ex: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Calkins+Media).

I've also seen companies have major issues if they need to change developers for whatever reason - the package ID and signing keys are tied to the dev account, so they would have to essentially republish a completely new application if the work needed to transition to another team. That's a headache with a major potential for losing users.

If they're already paying you to develop the app, surely they can toss in another $25 for you create a new dev account tied to the company, right?

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I know there are plenty of companies who have official apps published on the Play Store under the name of whichever consulting/developing firm actually did the coding (ex: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Calkins+Media).

I've also seen companies have major issues if they need to change developers for whatever reason - the package ID and signing keys are tied to the dev account, so they would have to essentially republish a completely new application if the work needed to transition to another team. That's a headache with a major potential for losing users.

If they're already paying you to develop the app, surely they can toss in another $25 for you create a new dev account tied to the company, right?
I would say that would be the ideal situation. Another option to isolate your own apps from client apps would be to create a single new account for your clients apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones