can i put standard samsung ICS on vodaphone SGS2 without rootingGeneral

Last Updated: 2012-04-07 06:21:19
  1. coreybacon

coreybacon Member

Hi all, i have got a vodaphone samsung galaxy S2. i have unlocked it to work on any network and i have a few qustions regarding it:

firstly, samsung say they will be releasing ICS for it in the first quarter of 2012. but because my phone was locked to vodaphone and it has al those vodaphone blooters on it. i would then have to wait for vodaphone to release there version of the update.
    is the any way i can install the official samsung ICS release without having to wait for vodaphone. preferebly without rooting it. and if so how?.

my second qustion:
    if i were to root it. that would void my warranty. but if it broke after i had rooted it, would the be any way of unrooting it??. so as to get back my warranty??

Thanks to anyone who can help
    Cheers CoreyB

Advertisement
  2. guitarplayer16

guitarplayer16 Active Member

No, you don't have to wait for Vodaphone to distribute the update out.
    No, you don't have to root to update.

Try not to break it =)
    Yes, you can always simply unroot your phone.

Depends on how bad you break it though haha
    coreybacon likes this.
  3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

coreybacon likes this.
  4. coreybacon

coreybacon Member

Ok thanks heaps. Because if i did have to wait for vodaphone it would be months before i got the updatelol. But i have one more question;-)
    When samsung release the official ics update. How would i go about installing it on a vodaphone device?. What would i have to do to get it working???.
    please excuse my lack of knowlege but this is my first smartphone and i dont know about all the tecnicall stuff.
    Thanks heaps to anyone who can help
    cheers Corey

Ps please excuse bad spelling/grammer as i am sending this from my phone.
  5. fonegyro

fonegyro Well-Known Member

I'm running ICS XXLP2 rooted now, you need to install via Odin from your computer.

Read all about it here
    coreybacon likes this.
  6. coreybacon

coreybacon Member

Hi, sorry for the long wait for reply lol, my internet was down in my area for i while ( i live in the middle of nowhere),

Is it possible to install the rom without rooting???, as i dont want to void my warranty.
    and if not, is everyone 100% sure that i can unroot my phone to get my warranty back???.
    It is just that i my dad (i am 16) will go nutters if i void my warranty lol.
    And is the much danger in rooting/installing customs roms on my phone???
    Thanks heaps to anyone who can help
    chers corey
  7. coreybacon

coreybacon Member

Ps:
    When i say about custom rom in my last reply, i am talking about this one.
    Cheers corey
  8. delta0

delta0 Member

Vodafone seem on ball with ics. I've noticed many Vodafone apps updating to "Android 4.0" over the last few days.
    coreybacon likes this.
  9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The leaked ICS development firmware doesn't require root, but as it's a leak and wasn't intended for public release you'll void the warranty by installing it.
    coreybacon likes this.
  10. coreybacon

coreybacon Member

Hi, thanks for the replys, great help.

but i have another qustion.
    i have read that the ics update said above, is only for the internaional version (I9100), but my phone is the I9100T version. would this update still work on it?. or would i need to flash some modern software aswell??

if so how would i go about doing that?

Thanks Heaps
    Cheers Corey
  11. coreybacon

coreybacon Member

PS:
    i am talking about the ICS XXLP2 rooted now update!

Corey
  12. coreybacon

coreybacon Member

oh and one more thing.
    i forgot to ask, is the ics rom a stable build? is it stable for everyday use?
    and which ics Rom is Best?? as the is 2 of them in the above posts

Thanks Heaps
    Cheers Corey
  13. suchi

suchi Member

Almost all the download links of XDA Developers point to multiupload which now I believe has shut shop. Try only if someone has put in a mirror link.
  14. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Yeah a lot of the older firmware is on multiupload so can't be downloaded but all the recent ones including all the ics firmwares aren't so can be downloaded fine.