• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs Can I Remove CARRIER From LockScreen & Notification Bar?

CjWelborn

Feb 18, 2012
I recently loaded a custom ROM on my Samsung Galaxy Precedent, CyanogenMod 7 to be exact. I love the ROM, it's 1 of 2 that I have found to work on my cheap phone. the notification bar and the lock screen say "Boost Mobile" on them. I know it has no effect whatsoever on my carrier, or phone performance, or anything besides looks, but its really annoying. I hate boost mobile (i'm on Straight Talk, not much better) , but anyway. I've looked at how to convert apk's to jar's, and how to decompile that jar into java code, but is there some APK/APP that contains the lock screen, or notification bar? Or is it part of system that cannot be changed? I'm a decent windows coder (.net/vb/c++), and i know a little tiny bit about java, so I'd like to EDIT that part out if I could. I figured if it could be changed then whoever developed this rom would've already taken it out, but I don't know. Does anyone know anything about removing the Carrier Logo from the Lock Screen and Notification Bar?

Im gonna look that up, but ive actually loaded aa51's version of cyanogenmod7 since this post. It says "straight talk" now... much better. I must be o.c.d. or something. The old rom by Panda was really good, not as many force closes, but that 1 tiny detail really bothered me. It seems this version "levels out" the longer you run it, like it stabilizes itself. But ill deal with all that just to see the correct carrier name. Someone should put an option in their Roms to change carrier name on the fly. If possible. Thats probably something i need to take to the developer though, not here.

Upvote 0
The eri.xml file inside "/system/framework/framework-res.apk" contains the carrier name. This is a binary file, so it must be decompiled to get access to the XML files within it in ASCII form.

I've seen some Android websites document editing this file then rebuilding the apk and pushing it back in place of the original. I tried this and screwed up my system (thankfully I had a system backup to restore from). The simpler approach is to leave that apk file alone and simply copy the edited ASCII eri.xml to /data. The OS should pick it up (at least this is the case on Cyanogenmod based ROM's). Worked for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones