Can I remove KitKat?

1. ItsLL

ItsLL Member

I bought a second hand red s3. I believe this is what you people call rooted or something along these lines. I have things on my phone that I do not want.

Its unlocked which is a must because it was originally with another carrier. I want to keep this.

Other things I have; something called superuser, c-rom, kitkat 4.4.4 and maybe something else I'm sure. I'm not very good at this.

In short, I had an s3, it was great and I think it used jellybean maybe? I want this back because I liked this way better. More user friendly.

Is it possible to change from what I have to what I had and remain unlocked? also, if there is at least a 1% chance of bricking my phone or relocking it, I don't want to do it.

Layman's terms will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

Hey there, I moved your post into the S3 root section. The folks here should be able to get you squared away!! :)
  3. ItsLL

ItsLL Member

Something just occurred to me. Is it possible that this is something like a beta version and that's why it sucks? Or do you guys suspect that it is what it is? Because I really don't like it.
  4. deltaforce

deltaforce Well-Known Member

Can you not factory reset it, but then you will get latest OS, may be kitkat.

The apps that you mention come with root. If I were you, I would leave root as it (i.e. will keep phone rooted). There are more advantages of having it rooted than unrooted.
  5. ItsLL

ItsLL Member

I did a factory reset and kitkat stayed. I don't find kitkat user friendly.

Thanks for your help brother
  6. Pulse8

Pulse8 Well-Known Member Contributor

Ok, if you have superuser,you're rooted, which is no big deal. In fact, it's a must if you want to flash a different rom, which sounds as if you do.So, the hard bit is already done for you!
    If you perform a factory reset, you end up with the same operating system (os) or rom as you started with, only it will have any apps, data, contacts etc, wiped off it. If you have a google account, then you will be able to restore all your contacts and photos quite easily.
    It sounds as if you need to download and install a different rom. Neatrom v7.7 is the latest non kitkat, it's android v4.3, which is still Jellybean.
    There is a host of info on this forum that will help you do that. Read them, and read them again, then again before you try. It isn't difficult. If I can do it, anyone can believe me!
    ItsLL likes this.
  7. ItsLL

ItsLL Member

I really appreciate it partner.

I will. W doing this when I get back from home.