Can I return a 2.1 Eris to Amazon?General


Last Updated:

  1. zag300zx

    zag300zx New Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey guys, I've switched from the Iphone 3G to the Eris 20 days ago. Android is sweet, but am feeling frustrated with the speed of the Eris. I upgraded to the rooted 2.1 in hopes of speeding things up, and it did for the most part, but it still lags when trying to make calls. Call quality is subpar on both ends, I had better call quality with ATT and the iphone.

    I am considering returning the phone to AmazonWireless if possible, do you think they would notice I installed 2.1? Will I get my new account activation upgrade on a different phone (Incredible or N1). I plan on activating an old phone until one of those comes out, then using my upgrade discount on that.

    Worst case is I'd have to sell it on ebay and buy an unlocked version.
     

    Advertisement
  2. Frisco

    Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Messages:
    22,479
    Likes Received:
    9,225
    lol
     
  3. bjanow

    bjanow Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Messages:
    2,763
    Likes Received:
    477
    May I echo those words? This must be one of those "girlfriends".
     
  4. zag300zx

    zag300zx New Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. A simple no, your crazy would suffice.
     
  5. acidbath5546

    acidbath5546 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    575
    Likes Received:
    342
    I would say NO...
    Better luck trying to sell it on ebay or Craigslist..
     
  6. bjanow

    bjanow Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Messages:
    2,763
    Likes Received:
    477
    Come on, how would we know the answer to any of those questions?
     
  7. trav473

    trav473 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2010
    Messages:
    689
    Likes Received:
    134
    Just a thought, ya wont get that iphone activated on verizon either.
     
  8. OfTheDamned

    OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Messages:
    9,691
    Likes Received:
    8,364
    Notice? Possibly.
    Care? Possibly.
    Reset your upgrade? Possibly.
    Sell on ebay and get cash? Definitely.
     
    zag300zx likes this.
  9. ChiTownJim

    ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2010
    Messages:
    2,380
    Likes Received:
    286
    I honestly don't think they'd notice or even look. When you return electronics to big stores they usually just make sure all the accessories are there , it turns on and it doesn't have any damage. I highly doubt they look at the software installed.

    I'd say 90% chance they wouldn't notice or care but there is always that 10% that could bit ya in the arse
     
  10. varkie

    varkie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    Messages:
    327
    Likes Received:
    43
    You would have to check and see what your contract with Amazon Wireless says as to the condition of the phone for returns. You're not dealing with Verizon here but a second party reseller and they can be sticklers for details as well as have their own contracts besides the one you signed for Verizons service.

    I got hosed by a reseller in VA when my kids moved to NC and changed their phone numbers to local numbers. Seems we had signed a seperate agreement with the reseller not to move the phone numbers for 90 days even though we did it through Verizon's easy move program and told him that we had intended to do it from the begining. It was one of those just initial here and here then sign here type of agreements that we didn't read. He tried to charge us $600 for the two phones until Verizon steped in and put a stop to it for us though it took a couple months.
     
  11. Pitamakan

    Pitamakan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2010
    Messages:
    586
    Likes Received:
    80
    I can't imagine their checking or noticing ... and if they did notice, I can't imagine their caring in the least. Where in your sales agreement with Amazon does it prohibit you from using beta software?
     
  12. Haxcid

    Haxcid Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    Messages:
    413
    Likes Received:
    29
    I can't image why you would go to an incredible or Nexus if call quality is such an issue. That most likely will not improve with a different phone. My Eris gives me fantastic quality both ways. I even asked someone the other day how I sounded quality wise and their response was great.

    If you were happy with AT&T and the iPhone, why switch away. I suggest you return to what you know and like. The iPhone and AT&T worked for you then switch back.
     
  13. bjanow

    bjanow Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Messages:
    2,763
    Likes Received:
    477
    That only makes sense and it's the thing 99% of the people would do. It makes you wonder about this entire thread.:confused:
     
  14. zag300zx

    zag300zx New Member This Topic's Starter

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well my reasoning is financial. I got tired of paying close to $100 a month and only getting 200 txt messages. I switched over to my parents family plan and now my bill is $45/mo with unlimited txt. Thats a significant savings. It wasn't making any sense for me to stick with ATT.

    I just wanted to get other peoples input on the matter, I have a couple days to decide what to do. Thanks for the help!
     
  15. wetherb67

    wetherb67 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    Messages:
    75
    Likes Received:
    1
    So here's a different question....

    Say he sells it on Craigslist.....if it still has the 2.1 on it will the person he sells it to have a problem activating it? Will they care?
     
  16. Thedarksunlight

    Thedarksunlight Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    12
    Amazonwireless has a policy that u must retain good standing with ur current plan or u get hit with a 200 fee. Considering u got the phone for a penny via amazon u will most likely be stuck with it. Should have been a cheap mofo and got it through amazon. Plus u rooted it. double fail. Btw I bought it via amazon and don't regret it.
     
  17. LiverpoolsNo9

    LiverpoolsNo9 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    32
    Since you are rooted, use the rollback instructions and go back to 1.5, then get an RMA from Amazon. Job done. Next?
     
  18. smacky

    smacky Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    2,844
    Likes Received:
    299
    You rooted the phone with a 2.1 ROM, it wasn't good enough so you thought the standalone 2.1 leak would be enough? Or are you still rooted running the 2.1 ROM and not just the leak?

    If you are still rooted, unroot and all that jazz, do a factory reset and no one will ever know.

    If you have 2.1 installed....I dunno how others have fared returning it online, but in the store, I think I've heard people say they took it back. But that was for an exchange, that something was wrong.
     
  19. bjanow

    bjanow Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Messages:
    2,763
    Likes Received:
    477
    This thread is over a month old. The dude's long gone.
     
  20. smacky

    smacky Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    2,844
    Likes Received:
    299
    I didn't even notice that. Ah well.
     
  21. aznguyen316

    aznguyen316 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2010
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    0
    still good read for me that is also curious about returning phone after doing a root.
     

Share This Page

Loading...