Can i ROM improve signal?

Last Updated:

1. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I've had stock 2.1, 2.2 OTA, Virtuous 2.7 and Virtuous 3.0 with custom kernal they offer. All have showed ~100dBm and usually 0-1 bars

Now i installed Uncommon Sense 1.0 from the ROM Manager.

Now it shows 6 full bars at all times. I checked in settings and im at about 64-70dBm

In all of my years on Verizon i have never had good signal in this apartment.

Id hate to jinx it by discussing it ... but what gives??

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Sounds fishy to me. I have the same general dBm numbers you say you've had and I installed and ran Uncommon Sense for awhile yesterday and my dBms where just the same as they'd always been. I don't know what is causing what you are seeing but I would not trust it. Let us know what you find out.

3. rsarno

I didnt change a single thing other than the ROM. And its my first time changing a ROM so i dont know if it came with its own Kernal or did it adopt the one from Virtuous?

But yea, very fishy. I have never ever had full signal. I thought the bars were wrong at first so i checked settings like 12 times haha

4. rsarno

I think im on to something ...

I have a VZW Signal Booster. Since i have had it, it only "works" when you make or receive a call. When i dial out and hit SEND i hear a little chirp indicating it has connected and i see my bars instantly go to full, until i disconnect my call it drops back down.

Well for whatever reason since i installed this new ROM, it is connected the entire time.

Still not sure if this is good or bad, but i think this is whats happening.

5. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Cool! (As long as you aren't being charged for minutes constantly)

6. rsarno

Confirmed, this is what is happening. For whatever reason my signal booster is thinking my phone is constantly in use.

Which begs the question; Is it??

Is something different in this ROM that would trick my booster into thinking my phone is in use? If so, wouldn't it effect battery?