can i root after get OTA 2.2?

Last Updated:

1. Sir_N

Sir_N Member This Topic's Starter

I just Unroot and completely back to stock now...

If I get official OTA froyo, can I root again?or not?

im very afraid to get s-off....actually;;;;lol;;

Advertisement
  2. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

No one knows yet, but it is assumed that vzw will fix the exploit that allowed unrevoked to work in the ota. unrevoked forever unlocks nand, so you can install unsigned images (meaning a custom recovery). Chances are whatever they lock, someone will find a way around again. So if you are really against using forever, you just have to wait it out.

The other option is to just not accept the ota. Not sure why everyone wants it, when we already have everything it provides.

3. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Until the actual OTA starts being pushed out, no one can be 100% sure. BUT from what I've read the update WILL break the current methods of attaining root on the incredible.

this means if you upgrade to 2.2 using the OTA you will have to wait for a "new" method to be discovered. unless of course you have s-off

4. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

Why so afraid of s-off when the option to change back is out now? I totally agree Dizko..dont see why everyone wants the official update when there is a rom out that will allow you to keep everything and still have the current version.

5. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

people, including me, like the idea of "official"

6. DizkoDan

Well, that's all fine and good. but the minute you root/s-off you are no longer "official". So what you are trying to achieve can be done a lot easier by just keeping root and installing a ROM. Even if it's the "official" ROM bloatware and all.

7. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I have seen you comment A LOT about people who root accepting the OTA, is there a reason why you are so against it, there could be SOMETHING different, even if it is one file. You don't even know for sure, it could be a new radio, just because that leak from yesterday is so current, does NOT mean it is the OTA. I am just trying to figure out what the problem is. People are going to do what they are going to do, and that includes waiting for the 2.2 OTA, my reasons are simply, I was using 2.1 with root, I just like to theme, and remove bloatware, with the official 2.2 I will be happy, with my clear rosie and removal of blaotware,

8. Ordieth

Ordieth Member

I wonder what bugs will be fixed in the official 2.2 OTA update. I also wonder if there will be a performance increase. I have been running leaked for a while, and it's great, but if the OTA is better, then why wouldn't I get it? :)

9. DizkoDan

Commenting in the other post about the subject. Don't want to muddy up a good post.

10. tinomen

tinomen Active Member

I have a serious question related to your answer: How do I know that a 3rd party ROM isn't compromised?

So far this worry is the only thing that has kept me from rooting my Inc and trying other ROMs.

11. DizkoDan

That's certainly a valid concern, and no one will be able to convince you otherwise. You just have to do some research. Chances are you aren't the first person to install the ROM, and if there's an issue, people are going to find it pretty quick. A lot of the devs regularly try other devs ROMS.

Personally, I would never grab a ROM from some random person. There's some guy posting ROMS that basically appeared out of nowhere, I would never consider using his ROMS. Most of the usual suspects are trustworthy people. Guys like Koush (who pretty much started the android hacking), Andrynalyn, Jager, ihtfp69, have a track record of stable releases. Make sure you stick to the links they post, rather than someone else who may post a "mirror" of it. Also most of them will post a checksum along with their downloads.

Like I said, you have to feel comfortable to do it. That said, the same could be said about any application out there, windows, mac, linux, whatever.

12. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

But I thought if we have S-Off, we should be able to keep the root, dont we?

13. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

I think if you have s-off you don't keep root, but you can easily re-root.

14. DizkoDan

S-OFF gives you the ability to root. If you install an unrooted ROM (or OTA), with S-OFF you can still reinstall the custom recovery (clockwork). If are S-ON, then if the exploit doesn't exist anymore, you wont be able to reroot.

15. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

perfect!

16. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

Don't quote me but if I read correctly, one of the unrevoked dev's stated that it didn't look like they tried to plug any holes, but the rooting ultility would still need to be updated to support 2.2 before it could be used.