Can i root and still update phone in kies?

1. james_uk

james_uk Well-Known Member

Hi guys, i currently have an s2 rooted and with pac rom on it, its been a long time since i just rooted without using a custom rom though.

I am getting an s4 tomorrow and what i wanted to know is, can i just root my s4 and keep my current android version and then still have access to updates via kies?

At the moment i dont want to use any custom roms but want the root access.

Is there a preferred way to root the s4 that is currently recommended and fail safe?

I am in the UK if that matters at all?

thanks for any tips.

James

Advertisement
  2. sntaylor

sntaylor Well-Known Member Contributor

As with the s2 it will depend on the current firmware, I'm on mdf which rooted
    fine with cfroot method, currently I have not flashed a recovery though so cannot backup or flash custom Roms.

I tried looking for a software update through the phone but said I'm not able to so would expect kies to be the same. I've not even had the s4 connected to kies though as I rooted within 2 hrs of getting it.Lol

I do believe you could probably flash the stock pre rooted firmware if you wanted the upgrades or just wait for more custom Roms. Alternatively flash stock updates through Odin and re root!

But I'm pretty sure kies won't be available!
  3. nsnarayan10

nsnarayan10 New Member

On some Rooted devices,you get OTA updates but you are never recommended to install them as it could mess your phone up,instead unroot your phone or install the official firmware to break root and then go for it.On the other hand,some Rooted devices never get OTA updates just because they are Rooted!It depends as far as my experience is concerned.

So stay away from Official updates when your are Rooted!
    silentwitness likes this.
  4. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

Yes, it's usually not a problem. The mean worry for most rooted users is not if they can update but losing root when they update. :)