• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can I root my Verizon HTC One M8 with Android 5.01?

irishjoeyo

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
Does anyone know of a way to root the Verizon HTC One M8 with Android 5.01? After re-loading the stock recovery, I took an OTA to get 5.01 which un-rooted my phone (and I knew that would happen). I checked the root thread and the last time the "All Things Root Guide" was updated was a year ago.

Here are my phone's details:

HTC One M8
Verizon
Android 5.01
Software number: 4.17.605.5
Unlocked
S-OFF
Stock recovery

You're already s-off?

Nothing could be easier.

Install TWRP from FASTBOOT USB mode (instructions and downloads are in most every recent thread here) and then either flash the SuperSU zip from TWRP or flash the custom rom of your choice (details, again, in the same threads discussing TWRP installation).

Make a nandroid backup (default settings under TWRP, Backup) immediately after installing TWRP and before doing any other thing to your phone.

Upvote 0
You're already s-off?

Nothing could be easier.

Install TWRP from FASTBOOT USB mode (instructions and downloads are in most every recent thread here) and then either flash the SuperSU zip from TWRP or flash the custom rom of your choice (details, again, in the same threads discussing TWRP installation).

Make a nandroid backup (default settings under TWRP, Backup) immediately after installing TWRP and before doing any other thing to your phone.

Thank you, EarlyMon! I followed your instructions and they worked perfectly. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones