can i root on a mac??

Last Updated:

1. dubs28st

dubs28st Member This Topic's Starter

am i able to root my hero on a mac ... has anyone ever done this and what does rooting actually do?? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

Yes. It's all done on the phone.

You cannot however update officially, so rooting is your only option for getting new firmwares (and custom ROMs if you want to feel a little dirty ;) )

3. Underdog

Underdog Member

Could I just ask a Question regarding rooting, If I can hold the home button and end button to get to the initial boot up screen does that mean that I am rooted? or can you do this on a none rooted phone?

4. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

I think that means you have root access but you need to have installed a rooted ROM to use root functions while the phone is in use.

I think.

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I don't think you actually have root access at that point. All that means is you have switched the phone's recovery file. To root you need to then use that recovery file to flash a custom ROM.

Or I think there are apps that can root the current ROM without putting on a custom one.

6. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

Surely the ability to install a custom ROM means you have root access? If only from the recovery mode?

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah you're right, I didn't think of it like that :) I was only thinking in terms of having root access whilst running the phone normaly.