can i root to gain full access without flashing to a rom and remain stock?

Last Updated:

1. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im wondering if i can root my device to gain full access but remain stock? Im wondering if i root the device can i gain full access, delete unnecessary sprint apps that i dont use but keep the default rom and not have to flash? Is it the rooting that gives full access or the flash to a custom rom? Thank you for yoir patience. Im new to android...

Advertisement
  2. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Yup, you can. go here and READ READ READ

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-sprint-hero/38911-guide-root-rom-faq-tutorial.html

godallmighty likes this.
  3. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

godallmighty likes this.
  4. tailsthecat

thank you for the encouraging replies. after i upgrade to sprints android release 2.x, i will have to re-root and re-delete the useless apps?

5. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

I would hold off on upgrading to Sprint's 2.1 release as there is a good chance it will patch the root fix. If you wait, you are better off, and in addition, several 2.1 ROM's are already practically 100%. So when Sprint's Official 2.1 is released, the ROM's will be even more 100%.

6. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Sorry, I just had to LOL b/c it sounded really redundant.

7. tailsthecat

well i tried rooting and got as far as flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v.1.5.2.img
    it said it couldnt find the image so i typed exit multiple times and aborted mission. all i am interested in is deleting useless apps like nascar, peeps, nfl, etc. any insight is appreciated. thank you for your patience as im new to android

8. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I answered you the Rooting FAQ Guide thread. Please try to stick to one thread. It's easier to assist you that way.

9. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

Good luck. I sooooo want that garbage off my phone. Just too scared I will total out my phone. I read and read and read this fine info but just am not brave enough to do it. No guts no glory I guess. I'd pay to have this done. But alas no place to be found.
    Thank you guys tor putting out the info.
    Lisa

10. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

I was scared to root too. But it wasn't as bad as I thought u just have to read, it all makes sense don't worry. Once I got past rooting it was pretty easy from there, flashed 2.0d and also flashed a theme. Everything is all good, at work typing this up on my Hero actually :)

11. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

It is difficult to make the decision to root. If you aren't comfortable, don't do it. It really is easy, but confidence is a must because it is sort of a leap of faith to step out of the comfort zone to do it. If you decide to go for it and get hung up, there are plenty of people to help fix you back up on this forum, just ask...

12. mslisaj

You guys are great and I so appreciate the support. Believe me if I do it I will be here bragging and thanking you all.........

Lisa

P.S. Do you need HTC Sync working on your computer to do this????

I have to read more.........

13. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

You don't necessarily need HTC Sync working. All you really need it for are the drivers. I have found it to be easier to just install PDAnet and use those drivers instead of HTC Sync drivers as they tend to work better.

14. mslisaj

Well there is the first hurdle for me to root. I was afraid of HTC sync as I mentioned I had trouble loading it. But maybe PDAnet would load without a problem and work better.........

Great Tip.......

Thanks........

Lisa ;)