Can I Root With a Mac?

Last Updated:

1. xaixis

xaixis New Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my droid for quite some time now and now I desire even more from my phone. I have done some research and am quite interested in overclocking and wifi tether.

The only problem is that with every guide I have encountered there is always a missing file donwload or it requires a program that is PC only.

Since I have a Mac I am unable to use these programs in order to flash images onto my device.

I am only interested in rooting my device in order to get wifi tether and overclocking, I do not desire any custom roms.

Is there a way to easily update to 2.01 using recovery -> Install/Update Root -> then update again to 2.1?

I'm sorry to be such a burden but obviously I'm just worried about bricking my phone with tactics that are outdated or not suited for Macs so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

3. one4u2nv

one4u2nv Well-Known Member

The only way would be to use a virtual machine via bootcamp, vmware, or virtualbox. You can install Windows or Linux then follow these directions:

http://forum.droidmod.org/index.php/topic,1004.0.html

This shows both the Windows and Linux ways to do it.

To be honest it would be easier to use a friends windows machine for like 10 min to do it. Once you do the RSDLite you're done with it anyway.

4. one4u2nv

Oh yeah forgot to say that that is for 2.1 phones. No need to downgrade to obtain root.

5. xaixis

xaixis New Member This Topic's Starter

Alright I'll look into using one of my windows machines (I only dread the concept because of the sluggishness of the beasts =P )

I was merely looking into a method that I could simply preform an update to my phone that would "grant" me super permissions but I was foolish to think such a process existed =P

So basically downgrade to 2.01, then flash with RSD granting Root, then update back to 2.1?

edit: Oh so now I don't even need to do the downgrade

6. one4u2nv

If you go back to 2.01 then do the official update you will loose root. You can just root straight from 2.1 with no problems. No worry about bricking you phone either as long as you follow that guide. Once you pass a point (I believe it tells you where) it is almost impossible to brick it. Especially since you are only wanting to tether and overclock.

I will warn you that if you ever do try a custom ROM it is a slippery slope. You'll be hooked on flashing the newest ones that come out just to try them. :) You can always do a nandroid backup via ClockWork and restore everything back to before you installed it if you don't like it. Plus using one of the backup programs you can back up all apps and data so you don't loose any info or settings when switching between ROMS.

7. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

Just wanted to let you know that I successfully flashed an SPRecovery SBF to a Droid using a Mac running Windows XP in VMWare Fusion. You can find the instructions here:

2.1 SP Recovery SBF - DroidMod

Just make sure to "connect" the Droid to your Fusion virtual machine by clicking the Droid's USB icon in the lower left hand corner of the virtual machine window.

CaptainRon likes this.