Can I sign up for Sprint in May and get a loner phone until the EVO?

Last Updated:

1. Scincidae

Scincidae Active Member This Topic's Starter

am supposed to be switching my Family Plan to Sprint come May. Right now I have an AT&T contract until 7/11/10. My plan is to sell my iPhone 3G before the new iPhone comes out and the price drops for 3Gs on Ebay (they are still going for $250-350 right now). I was going to sell my iPhone and use that money to cancel my AT&T 2 months early then buy the EVO. The problem is the EVO comes out in June, at least most likely, and I (plus my family) couldn't go without a phone plan for a month.

Is there any way I could get a loner phone(like they give you when your phone is being repaired) or something from Sprint until the EVO comes out? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Scincidae [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

buy a new phone full price now, they have really cheap ones and make sure they save your discount for the EVO, get it in writing as well

3. Scincidae

Cheapest phone at full price (according to Sprint.com) is $170 and that wouldn't be worth it.

4. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

I would sell the iPhone in 2 weeks and get those crappy pay as you go phones until the EVO comes out.

5. GiftedPlacebo

GiftedPlacebo Well-Known Member

How about staying AT&T as month to month until May and switching then?

EDIT: nm, I reread your post.. Why not just complete the contract... its only 2 months.

6. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Go find a refurb phone on ebay or craigslist? My buddy ditched his Palm Pre for a used Samsung Moment a month ago, to use until the Evo drops.

Also, AT&T's ETF shouldn't be astronomically huge, since it's prorated depending on how close you are to the end of your contract. If I recall correctly, if you're within 30 days of the end of your contract, your ETF is waived completely.

7. Scincidae

Could do that though I would have to get 3 pay as you go phones.

I am keeping the iPhone until May, it is May to June that I wouldn't have a phone. I am canceling AT&T the day I get the EVO if all goes as planned. The early termination fee should only be $60/65 and I will be saving $45 a month so it's worth getting rid of my iPhone. lol

8. Scincidae

Yeah I did the math and it shouldn't be more than $65. Maybe I can wait til June 11th for the final 30 days if I can get a temp AT&T phone instead of a temp Sprint phone.

9. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I decided to stay with T-Mobile, switch to my current plan to Even More Plus until the Evo comes out.

10. SprintTerp

SprintTerp Well-Known Member

Cheapest way is to get your hands on a used Sprint phone. Ask friends who have Sprint if they have any old phones lying around. That or check ebay/craigslist/pawnshops

11. billsmed

billsmed Well-Known Member

You might also try a no contract prepaid cell phone to hold you over until the EVO comes out.

12. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

This. I found a BlackBerry 8830 in pretty good condition on eBay for only $59.98 with free shipping.

13. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

This would seem to be the obvious answer. Buying out a contract with 2 months left would be a little silly (at least for me anyway). Although I find it REALLY funny that we're now sooooo stoked on the Evo that we just can't wait to switch to Sprint (and the darn thing's not even out yet). Sprint, your evil plot to take over the world is working! :p

14. Scincidae

I have no problem keeping my AT&T plan, but I figured saving $40 a month for two months is save MORE than the early termination fee that I will have. The EVO early is just a bonus, lol.

15. zfwjs

zfwjs Member

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I have an iPhone 3gs I'm going to get rid of. I figured I would get more for the 3gs if I sold it now before the new iphone came out. I thought about getting a pre-paid, but I want to keep the same phone number I've had for 11 years.

I'll probably check out getting a used Sprint phone and switching in the next week or so. Any thoughts on which Sprint phone I should get for less than $100?

Thanks

JS

16. dzine2fit

dzine2fit Well-Known Member

There is no specific date for the release, Y are you betting it will be June of this yr?? they could delay it till July or August who knows. but oh well, its you choice.

17. billobob

billobob Member

another option aside from the pre/bb/etc used if you're a geek is getting an old HTC Touch. you can hack android on to it and it works pretty well, and you could keep it around for a backup phone after getting your EVO

18. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

hey, if sprint gets iphone, I will be one happy person.

At&t will have to pick up some great phones or die fast.

Sprint has got some serious competition atm.

69$ on an evo XD.

And if sprint gets iphone 69$ a month.. the whole world is gunna jump the at&t ship.

19. chrissyd

chrissyd Well-Known Member

Well I am currently ANXIOUSLY waiting to switch over to Sprint, and so I did some checking today. First of all, online Sprint chat and my local store informed me that even if I had a phone say off of Craigslist, and I activated it, I would lost my 2yr new customer pricing discount. Which I feel is completely unfair, seeing as they have the Evo shown on their website as coming summer 2010 and could already be reeling in customers by letting them use a phone to hold them over sign a 2 yr contract, and then just give them new phone pricing when the Evo is released. I'm just saying it makes sense.

Obviously it doesn't make sense just to let a customer sit on this discount for heaven only knows how long. It just seems with the Evo shown on Sprint.com they could be getting a jump start on people switching over. So now I am stuck with my current provider and unreliable service, counting my days until I can get within the 30 day guarantee so I can pick something up and return it for the Evo!!!

zfwjs likes this.
  20. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

@dzine2fit the fact that all the rumors are pointing to that date and also all the hardware guys that arnt under nda's keep saying stuff. just get a 30day verizon plan. you will have to pay a prorated but u can get the incred to play with for a month

21. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. Except I'm keeping my current phone until the Evo is actually released.

22. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Yeah I'm not going to use up my 30 day guarantee either even though it's very tempting. I'm confident the EVO will be everything I expect it to be but these days you never know so I'll play it safe and keep my safety net lol.