• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I still use Ascend and wifi after discontinue METROPCS service?

jellobai

Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hi, I had Ascend from metropcs for 2 months and my office doesn't get any reception. I am thinking about discontinue metropcs. My question is, I like the phone, Can I still browser internet in wifi or download market stuff without metropcs service? What can I do without service? Thanks a lot.

Hi, I had Ascend from metropcs for 2 months and my office doesn't get any reception. I am thinking about discontinue metropcs. My question is, I like the phone, Can I still browser internet in wifi or download market stuff without metropcs service? What can I do without service? Thanks a lot.

Yes, you can do anything with your phone without the Metro Service, INCLUDING Calls and texts over wifi. PM me about that

Upvote 0
Correct, but I am talking about something better than Google Talk. To the one with the original post: Sorry I have not replied to your PM. Will do so shortly.

I seen you posted that wifi should work, do you know any setting to be done? I tried to connect wifi after I disconnected service (metroPCS). It starts wifi however it says my home network Not in range. (I am currently connected to same network from my laptop!!!). This message it shows for all networks nearby.

Upvote 0
so today im getting myself a t-Mobil phone because they have a amazing deal for only today, all phones under $100.
and going to leave my ascend as my secondary phone just in case.
i know that my 3g or 1g will be lost when i cancel my account in metropcs right?
but can i still use "WIFI" text or surfing the internet on my 3g?

wifi will still work. your not gonna have a data connection via 3g if the phone is not active.

Upvote 0
Sure. Wifi works fine. You can make phone calls too, if you use an app like GrooVe IP in conjunction with Google Voice. The only things you cant do involve using cell towers, like regular phone calls and 1x/3g/4g stuff. You can browse, use the market, use a 3rd party messenger app, use a Voice IP, etc.

I tried to connect wifi (I dont have service), it detects all the networks near by but while trying to connect it says "Not in Range".... not sure what could be issue or how they have block it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones