Can I tether a Droid to another phone via BT?

Last Updated:

1. joshie

joshie New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I have a Moto Droid that will be deactivated shortly. Since I am too cheap to pay the $100/month for voice+data, I was wondering if there's a way I can tether the Droid to my current phone via Bluetooth. Obviously I can't use the Droid to make calls this way, but ideally, all the other data apps and services would work... or at least all of the data services not requiring an active Verizon account.

How many of the Droid's data services just need "network connection" versus "a Verizon account"?

I would simply swap phones and start using the Droid, but until the Droid can safely shoot underwater video without dying this is a non-starter.

Thanks!
    Josh

Advertisement
  2. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

I'm not quite catching what you are wanting to do here...... do you have multiple smart phones and just going to drop 1 of them(the Droid)???? What sort of phone are you wanting to tether to???? And just curious, how many phones on the market can survive underwater period, let alone shoot video? and who would really use a phone to shoot video with the intention of getting any quality out of it?

3. joshie

My primary phone is a Casio G'Zone which is waterproof and can even take video underwater. I've dunked it in the lake twice already and it's fine. I want to keep my phone number working on this phone. (And BTW, you don't use a phone video for quality, silly... you use it when it's the one waterproof camera you have and you want to record memories of the kids fooling around in the lake!)

I have a Motorola Droid phone. It is not active on Verizon's network.

I would like to use the Droid when I'm out and about, for the things the Droid does well (i.e. navigation, looking stuff up, etc.) But I don't want to pay $100/month for this.

I know there's a way to use the G'Zone as your internet connection for a laptop via Bluetooth Tethering. So I thought I could use the G'Zone as the internet connection for the Droid, if I could tether the Droid to the G'Zone via BlueTooth.

The G'Zone stays with me always, but the Droid won't go on those excursions that are hazardous to its health, like, in the lake.

4. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

would you go for 30/month more?? call verizon and check with them on this, but, I believe you can have them turn on the unlimited data plan on your line for $30/month more, dial *228 on the driod and program it to your number. then when you want to go to the lake, dial *228 on the g'zone and program you number back to it. if verizon lets ya do that, it would be a hastle, but bout the only way to get what you want. I don't think you can get the internet on your g'zone like your thinking, basically acts as a modem for a dial-up network through bluetooth. some one correct me if I'm wrong please

joshie likes this.
  5. joshie

That might be a good idea, Trav - I'll think about it! I would just move the G'Zone to a pay-per-month plan, but unfortunately Verizon will not do the pay-per-month plans on the G'Zones because they are too advanced. I'll try to see if I can tether, but if not, I may try to do the *228 re-programming.