can I type a return character in SMS?General

1. braedsjaa

braedsjaa New Member

Maybe I am a bit weird wanting to spell, punctuate and format my SMS messages nicely while the rest of humanity "abbrevs evthng & no full stops lol"

Advertisement
  2. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

It's possible, I did it by accident once

Its some combination or ALT or SHIFT and the return key, not sure if its a simgel press/double press or hold though
  3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Possibly using and Alt-Enter would work ... like it works when you want to put a return/new line within an Excel worksheet Cell ... I have not tested it with our SMS ...

TRIAL : I tried the Alt-Enter ... and that didnt work
  4. braedsjaa

braedsjaa New Member

That's it! SHIFT-return
    I knew there must be a way.
    thanks a lot
  5. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Shift-Enter is the common way to do a new line in HTML ... rather than return being a new paragraph ...

Glad you found your solution :D
  6. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

This is also how it was on the sidekick, the pre-cursor to the G1. Many other keyboard similarities exist.

Shift+DEL - erases a whole line of text for example
  7. DarkTLRrider

DarkTLRrider Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that you don't know the screen size of the device you are sending the text to, so it would be better to type in a run on style double spacing between sentences and letting the device you are sending it to determine how to layout the screen. Especially if the other device has a small screen hitting the return will only chop up the screen and force the other user to scroll up and down to see your whole text.
  8. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

sidekick is the pre-cursor to the G1?? really?
    i dont see very many similarities.. o_O
  9. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Andy Rubin, founded Danger the makers of the Sidekick. Their entire pitch to the carriers was software as as service. Allowing you to have PIM functions that were stored in the cloud/internet. Allowing devs to create apps and share in the revenue with the carriers and Danger.

At some point he left Danger and founded Android. I don't have any inside knowledge but likely it was not heading in the direction he wanted with Danger. Android was bought early on by Google and lived in silence for a few years.

The keyboard layout, the software market, the embracing devs are all very much seen in his earlier work. I think that the evolution of the iPhone and Google's footprint certainly has made some changes to the way they do things.

But the idea that Android as an OS will be on many devices was the goal of Danger in the first place. In fact the Sidekick was supposed to be a reference platform, so that many manufacturers could jump on board and build their own hardware. Clearly the Google muscle has helped him realize this vision.

And we all benefit.