Can I Uninstall GingerbreadSupport

Last Updated: 2012-04-14 11:02:57
  1. 4ndroid

4ndroid Member

Hi,

Can I un-install Gingerbread and go back to 2.3 as I'm constantly encountering lack of internal memory. If so, how do I do it?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello and welcome, 4ndroid. I see you joined quite a while back and now are making your first post. ;)

There are a few different ways to go about reverting your OS to a previous release, the most common being to run a root method (http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/503471-desire-all-things-root-guide.html) and install/flash the ROM with the Android version of your choice (Desire Index - Everything Desire is here! [29th/Mar/2012] - xda-developers). :)
    4ndroid likes this.
  3. saltire

saltire VIP Member VIP Member

2.3 is Gingerbread, but reverting back to older version isn't going to solve much of internal memory issues. Few ways to do that but most effective is probably rooting if you're up for that - you'll need to root if you really want to revert back anyway.

See the link to All Things Root sticky in Frisco's post, read the faqs first and decide if it's for you or not.
    4ndroid likes this.
  4. 4ndroid

4ndroid Member

Thanks, guys. I'll give it a shot and let you know. I asked because I'm sure I read it was irreversible.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

It is irreversible unless you root :)
  6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

.. and once you root, there's no reason to. Revert
  7. 4ndroid

4ndroid Member

Thanks guys. Transpires I was actually already rooted. I loaded on Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 and I must say I don't really like it: I can't install from the Market (it says all the apps are already installed, although I can't see them); I don't like the email app; nor do I don't like the contacts dialler app etc. Can someone please give me a link to Froyo 2.2 or recommend a ROM similar to the regular HTC's 2.3 that I was using and I'll put that on instead? I'm worried I install a dodgy version! On the plus side: I have a good deal of internal memory back!
  8. 4ndroid

4ndroid Member

Just installed the Oxygen 2.3.2 ROM and I'm liking it a lot. Just fully backing up using Titanium and I'm away to check out GingerVillain 3.31. Cheers. I'm still keen to hear any good ROMs for my Desire. Internal memory seems to be the prohibitor.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

There are ways of dealing with the internal memory too - see the root memory FAQ linked from the same ATR Guide post.

But this is now moving onto a different topic from the original post. What I'd suggest is that you look at the "Which ROM type are you using?" sticky thread in the All Things Root subforum, which will give you some ideas of what people use/like. Remember that ROM choice is subjective! Then if you need further help or advice start a new thread in that forum, which will get the attention of the root users quicker than here.
    4ndroid likes this.