• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can i UNroot this tablet?

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
my kids have a Galaxy Tab 2. their friend was over a few weeks ago and rooted it without asking. I didn't know/notice until just now. the device lost its ability to connect to Google servers, to go to the play store, use the youtube app, etc... I spent hours trying to fix it, reading forums (the problem was "unable to establish a reliable connection to the server" even though wifi was working just fine on the web). I tried all the things that people suggested and it still couldn't connect to google servers. I called Google on the phone, and they were able to determine that it was rooted, which was a big surprise to me. evidently the kids had installed an app called Rootcheck which no one would install unless it was rooted.... when I asked the kids they admitted they did it. so the device is basically unusable now, because I attempted to do a factory reset which removed all the apps, but it didn't completely work because I still can't connect to google servers so I can't install any apps.

the person at Google on the phone informed me that when the device was rooted, it made some changes that are NOT changed back even by a factory reset. they said only if I could send it back to Samsung and have them "reflash" it, could we get rid of the the changes they made when it was rooted.

I really don't want to send it back and I'm guessing there would be a fee for this.

So I'm here asking.... is there a way I can UN root it on my own so I can do a factory reset and really restore it to the original state, before it was rooted? or can i do this factory flash thing on my own without sending it back to Samsung?

any advice is appreciated.

thanks
gary in vermont

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones