Can i upgrade my milestone to froyo???

Last Updated:

1. gchaltikyan

gchaltikyan New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    I am a new user of Moto Milestone with Android 2.1. I have bought it in the U.S., though as I learned couple of days ago through a phone call to Motorola Tech Support, the phone has actually been produced to be used in Hong Kong:confused: [it was a surprise, to begin with, that true INTERNATIONAL GSM phones, not bound by any carrier contract, can be made or meant to be used in a specific country!] Anyway, I needed a phone to use in Armenia (where I am currently located and using my droid), on VivaCell-MTS network.
    Since I am an absolute novice not only to Milestone, but to Android, and to smartphones at all, I quite naturally have had plenty of questions. Fortunately, with some common sense, considerable background as PC user, and a little help from the net, I have so far been able to figure out most of the features.
    Now to the issue that concerns me most at the moment. I am trying to figure out if I can upgrade my device to froyo on my own - since my carrier does not seem to provide an OTC upgrade at the moment. I tried the force upgrade mechanism, brilliantly described on this forum (thanks to all moderators and participants b.t.w.), but it did not work so far (tried downloads from a couple of locations). It gives the notorious "certificate" message, and aborts the upgrade. If anyone is ready to help me with this, and a couple of other questions, I'd be most appreciative of your help!
    Thanks in advance, and best regards to all droid army:)
    George

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

There is supposed to be a version of Froyo (Android 2.2) released for the Motorola Milestone. That said it's typically carrier based so it's official release may be dependent on the carrier that you're currently using.

Since you indicate that your current carrier does not seem to have an update available for distribution, you may need to manually update your phone off of the carrier network. This is a bit more risky but is definitely a possibility to consider. If you haven't already go to the "All things Root" sub-forum for the Motorola Milestone. At the top of the page is a locked thread which provides a link to an update guide for updating the Milestone.

http://androidforums.com/milestone-...ot-guide-updated-20-55-bst-aug-31-2010-a.html

This may not answer all of your questions but it should get you started. Good luck!

gchaltikyan likes this.
  3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

gchaltikyan likes this.
  4. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forums!

gchaltikyan likes this.