Can I use a higher rated charger?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know what the highest rated charger is that can safely be used with the DI? I ask because I have an old LG charger that fits the port on my DI but it is 1.5 amps and I want to use it as my work charger. I think the OEM DI charger is rated at 1.0 amps and I don't want to burn up my phone or prematurely kill the battery. I've got a second data cable coming on a slow boat from china (literally) and I need something in the meantime.

Advertisement
  2. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

you can use a higher amp rated charger....1.5 is alot though. The volts need to be the same though

3. AeolianReflex

OK so if the voltage is the same but the amps are higher, 1.5 in this case, it should be safe? Just don't want to fry anything.....

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Well-Known Member

If you're charging through the phone it should not be a problem. The ratings on the transformers are what the actual unit can handle; this does not mean the device will draw that much power. Assuming it's a form of mini-USB, the voltage should be the same(~5v). That said I have used my LG charger from my Env2 that's rated less than 1A with no problems.

5. AeolianReflex

Ah.... Got it now. Thanks for the info.