• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can i use a usb keyboard somehow??

I'm not an expert, but the diagram at home (www) looks like all the dongle needs to do is short pins 4 and 5 when the phone boots. So can I build a dongle by simply hacking off the micro-USB plug from one of my cables and connecting the two wires that correspond to pins 4 and 5 while leaving the other three wires open? If so, what colors are the proper two wires? I'm asking because this would be simpler for me than buying the charger, removing the resistor, etc. as described at USB Host mode on Motorola Droid Chris Paget's Blog

Upvote 0
Okay, so I punch out quite a few emails on my droid, and don't get me wrong I like droid's keyboard.. but a full keyboard would be sooo nice. Is there any way to plug in a usb ps/2 keyboard into my droid?

Thanks

You do realize that USB and PS2 are not the same, i.e there is no such thing as a USB PS2 keyboard.

Why not use one of those little bluetooth keyboards.

Upvote 0
The hardware is actually just the smaller part of the battle. I built said cable and attached my thumbdrive to the DROID. My DROID could see the thumbdrive (in a diagnostic screen) but it was yet to be functional. You also need to write and load drivers (the software portion) for functionality.

A Bluetooth keyboard is a much better option, at this point.

Upvote 0
I can't get an external keyboard to work. Just to be safe, I've made two dongles. When I boot with the dongle and remove as soon as the Motorola logo disappears, I plug in a keyboard, but no dice. At that point, the last line in dmesg says:

cpcap_batt_irq_hdlr: irq = 75

I'm not an expert with dmesg's messages.

When I boot with the dongle, I am able to verify that my SD card will no longer mount on my laptop, which is expected if the Droid is in fact in USB host mode. Even so, when I reboot and try a keyboard, the keyboard doesn't work and it's power light never lights. I've tried a couple of keyboards, and I've tried altering the timing of when I remove the dongle a little bit. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones