• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I use Google Voice with no SIM/phone#? Other VOIP?

Hi,
I have an (unlocked) HTC desire HD with no SIM card and no attached phone number. I use it only as an Android tablet through my wifi. I tried installing google Voice but it requiters a telephonic number. Same thing for Tango.

Is it possible to somehow bypass the telephone number requirement of Google Voice or Tango?

Can you recommend another free (as in beer, gratis) VOIP application I could install to make calls in the USA?

Thanks,

Crot

Don't know much about Google Voice, but I use my HTC Sensation as a wi-fi-only fun gizmo. I use Text+ to send SMS and make phone calls via wi-fi: Works like a charm. This is especially good when you travel overseas. Text+ will give you a phone number, that's the trick. So if GoggieBoggieVoice thingy isn't working for ya, try Text+.

Upvote 0
You don't have to enter your cell phone's number when creating a Google Voice account. You can add a home number or a work number or your mom's number or a pay phone number. Just make sure that whoever picks up the phone can punch in the the 2-digit confirmation code that Google will display when signing up for a Google Voice number. Once you've obtained a Google Voice number, you can go into the Google Voice settings (on the web) and uncheck or delete that phone number and send your calls to Google Chat. Then if you have a SIP client app (like GrooveIP Lite) on your phone (and you enter your Google Voice account name/password) calls to/from that Google Voice number will be routed to your phone through your SIP client app. You should be able to make unlimted WiFi calls to anywhere in US & Canada for free (regardless of where you are in the world). And (if you're on WiFi) people can call you at that US Google Voice number (regardless of where you are) .

Some other SIP client apps (like SIPdroid or CSIP Simple) require that you have a PBX account somewhere. SIPDroid automatically creates an account for you on PBXes.org. GrooveIP is the easiest to set up and use. If you only need to use it over WiFi you can use (free) GrooveIP Lite. If you need to use it over 3G/4G you would need to buy the full version of GrooveIP.

Reactions: Crotalus Armas
Upvote 0
If you are trying to use Google Voice with a non-active phone I would suggest looking at Talkatone and Groove IP. I'm not sure about receiving calls, but I've used Google Voice + one of the previous mentioned apps and a wifi connected Android phone plenty of times. Call quality is not always that great, but it works fine as a free phone to use.

Reactions: Crotalus Armas
Upvote 0
Groove IP..

I have configured my google voice account, I connect to it with GooveIP Lite and all looks ok. Then, when I try to call a number I get a message telling me "we could not complete your call, please try again" and a window offering to show me the FAQ. I dialed with the 1+area code, then just with the area code, then even without the area code. I even tried +1+area code + number. Always the same message. Any suggestions? thanks!!

Upvote 0
Follow up: something bizarre is happening. There is ONE number I can call with GrooveIP Lite, my own Google number. Then, from there, I can choose option #2 and then I can place a call. So main my goal is reached, if in a really bizarre way... Still no other way to place an outgoing call, and calls to my google number a re-directed to my home number which I used to sign up, and not to my non-active HTC DHD over wifi, but that is not biggie. My main need was for placing outgoing calls and that now works. Thanks guys!!!

Upvote 0
calls to my google number a re-directed to my home number which I used to sign up, and not to my non-active HTC DHD over wifi,

scratch that, my bad. all I had to do is to configure google voice to forward calls to chat, and they now come straight to my non-active HTC DHD. Oh, and outgoing calls also work now (dunno why, but I will take it!) Absolute total *bliss* !!! Thanks again guys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones