• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I use GPS to generate waypoint logs without a network?

tomicdesu

Lurker
Jan 15, 2010
Hi, I'm considering buying a GPS phone (specifically G1) to get as a side effect a GPS unit I can use while travelling in the deep desert, so that I can collect track/log data for later, offline geolocation of photographs I take on the trip.

I specifically do NOT need maps, navigation, and all that urban GPS rot. I just need some way to record either the raw NMEA data (ugh) or some reasonably nice app that simply logs GPS data for me in a place-nice format. I'm trying to avoid buying a standalone GPS unit, since all I need is the GPS log and who needs more gadgets with power cubes, cables and adapters to live with?

I'll be off-network for 2, 3 days at a time, I can keep the thing charged and all that. With all the marketing noise it' shard to find any real specs on GPS and other sensor data.

Any help in this direction would be helpful. Thanks!

I think that it depends on the phone. My Samsung Moment cannot do that. With no cell towers, GPS cannot start up. This ticks me off, I was hoping to use my moment as a GPS while hiking, but it doesn't work at all.

I have heard that other phones are capable of doing what you want, but I'd try to find somebody with the phone you want to be sure, before you buy it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones