• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I use MT on another prepaid carrier?

GKNByNW

Nov 17, 2011
North By Northwest
The title says it all... I am just about at my wit's end with Virgin Mobile. I've had VM for 4 years and their cell service itself has always been great. But every month when I go to their website to pay my bill, or when I want to switch to a different plan, it's a royal f*#king headache. Calling their so-called "customer service" is a joke too. After about 10 minutes of trying to bypass the stupid voice-prompt crap so I can talk to an actual person (even if it's someone whose primary language is NOT English...) I'm lucky if I can accomplish what I set out to do in the first place.

(Thus concludes my VM rant...)

Anyway, I have a family member with service on another prepaid carrier who can add me as a 2nd line for $15/mo. Problem is, I've only had my Triumph for less than 4 months, I actually DO like this phone (believe it or not), and I can't afford to purchase another phone right now.

I have Googled around a bit but can't come up with anything other than these stupid services that want to unlock your phone for a fee. So I am asking here, does anyone know if the MT can be used on another carrier? If so, what kind of headaches am I in for in trying to get that done? And since my Google-fu has mostly failed me, if anyone can steer me in the right direction that would be most awesome.

In case it matters, I am looking at switching to Cricket Wireless. I don't know what kind of technology their network uses compared to VM, so for all I know my Triumph might not even work on their network.

Guess I'll tough it out for now :-\ VM's service in my area is quite fine. My problem is with their non-English-speaking Customer Service. I don't have to deal with them very often so I'll manage :)

I have the same problem as you. Last time I spoke with VM customer service I asked if I have problems with my MT, if I can just take it to a sprint store? They said yes I could do that. So thats what I will be doing with all my other proeblems in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones