• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Can I use my DroidX Wall Mount to charge my iPod nano?

1stAndroid

Jul 8, 2010
So, I got my droid X and I notice the charger supplied by motorola is disconnected at the wall mount. and there is a separate cable that connect the phone to the wal mount via micro-usb -> usb.

My question is, since my ipod nano has a (??WTF IS THIS ipod conector??) -> usb cable that is uses for charging. Can I connect my ipod vis it's cable to the wall mount designed for my droid X for wall charging for my ipod? I would love to be able to charge my iPod faster.

Info
The moto wall mount says out put is 5.1V 850mA

I don't know what an ipod charger output is obviously because i dont have one. (if ipod charger output is also 5.1V and 850 mA does that automatically mean it is safe to use it or is there still any danger?

Thanks

It will absolutely work. USB is standardized, so anything that is labeled as USB will work. I use my Nook charger to charge my Droid X, my Motorola charger to charge my wifes LG Accolade, and her Accolade charger to charge my Nook, or any combo of that. Heck, I charge my PS3 controller using the USB plug on the front of my Comcast Motorola cable box. If my iPhone wasn't basically permanently in it's dock now, I could easily use the Droid X wall plug part to plug my iPhone cable into. Actually, I have a cigarette lighter -> USB adapter in my car, and I used to use it to charge my Microsoft Zune, SanDisk Sansa, iPhone 3Gs, Garmin GPS, and Navigon GPS, and now I have the Verizon one I bought with my DX and I use it to charge my DX and my work phone, a Motorola i465. Just remember, USB is USB, you can plug anything made for it into it, doesn't matter who made it. That's the beauty of standardization!

Reactions: 1stAndroid
Upvote 0
It will absolutely work. USB is standardized, so anything that is labeled as USB will work. I use my Nook charger to charge my Droid X, my Motorola charger to charge my wifes LG Accolade, and her Accolade charger to charge my Nook, or any combo of that. Heck, I charge my PS3 controller using the USB plug on the front of my Comcast Motorola cable box. If my iPhone wasn't basically permanently in it's dock now, I could easily use the Droid X wall plug part to plug my iPhone cable into. Actually, I have a cigarette lighter -> USB adapter in my car, and I used to use it to charge my Microsoft Zune, SanDisk Sansa, iPhone 3Gs, Garmin GPS, and Navigon GPS, and now I have the Verizon one I bought with my DX and I use it to charge my DX and my work phone, a Motorola i465. Just remember, USB is USB, you can plug anything made for it into it, doesn't matter who made it. That's the beauty of standardization!

Hrethgir, did you root your Nook? I'm thinking of buying one just to root and convert to an Android tablet.

Upvote 0
@All Thanks so much for the help! I thought it would work but I am so uncertain with electronics I didn't want to fry my ipod lol. Thanks for the sharing the insight!

the real question is, why do you have an ipod nano when you have a droid x?
:eek::eek::eek:

It was a point of weakness...... lol I bought the ipod before i had my droid X, and its just such a convenient size for the gym and while running. As much as I love my X I dont think I could imagine going jogging with my droid x flailing around in an around the arm holster.

Why risk damaging my X at the gym when I can throw my ipod to the wolves right????
:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Hrethgir, did you root your Nook? I'm thinking of buying one just to root and convert to an Android tablet.

I don't know if this Nook can even be rooted, and if it can, I don't see it being worth doing. But I have the regular grayscale e-ink one with the small color LCD touchscreen at the bottom, not the NookColor you are probably thinking of. I've heard that one does make a decent tablet, but don't expect to be blown away. It works, but being made to be an ebook reader, it doesn't have much graphical power, so gaming and video isn't the best on it. But for surfing the net and stuff like that, sounds pretty good. I've thought about picking one up to root also, price is pretty sweet. Actually, I've heard you don't even really have to root anything, just have the Android apk for it on the SD card, and it will boot off the SD card and into that version of the OS, and then when you pull that SD card out and reboot, it goes back to the stock setup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones