1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Can I use my Toshiba external hard drive with the SG Note?Support

1. nic1681

nic1681 New Member

I am getting rid of my desktop PC and buying a SG Note. I have moved all my important files (pics, music, etc.) to my external hard drive. Will I be able to use it? How will it work if I can?

Advertisement
  2. OpticalTen

OpticalTen Member

It depends what format your toshiba external hard drive is and it has to be ac powered. I recently had to format he a 320gb hard drive in a usb caddy to fat32 just get the note to see it. You also need a usb accessory host adaptor because the samsung now uses its own proprietary connector not the standard usb connector.
    I got mine from amazon which also came with me sd card adaptor for about
    Adam Steele likes this.
  3. nic1681

nic1681 New Member

Thanks for your reply. How can I tell what format my external hard drive is or if it is AC powered?
  4. nic1681

nic1681 New Member

According to the Toshiba properties, it is a Toshiba USB HDD with approx 300 GB if that helps.
  5. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

You can use FAT32 and NTFS file systems.

You will need to use an AC adaptor with the HDD for the HDD to work.

Note is not a PC or laptop and getting rid of your PC altogether is not a good idea.
    nic1681 likes this.
  6. EnglishLad

EnglishLad Member

The note can power usb pen drive but not an external hard drive. It will need to have a desperate power adapter. It will say in the description if it's usb powered or mains.
    Ramzes13 and nic1681 like this.
  7. Ramzes13

Ramzes13 Well-Known Member

Yep confirmed using multiple sized hard drives USB 2 and USB 3. I did get a powered USB hard drive to work...but would be too cumbersome.
  8. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

One could alo use one of those WiFi HDDs available from Seagate.