Can I use Skype for international calls?

1. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Well-Known Member

I'm from the US but going to the Dominican Republic next week. I need to call the office back in the US but $1.99 a minute for international calls is a killer.

Can I use my Inspire to call a land line back in the US? I've never used Skype so don't beat me up too bad. :)

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :

2. Get the unlock code and use a local sim
  3. donalson

donalson Active Member

yes... but it is a pay for use feature... I was traveling in central America and Europe and used skype (on my computer) to call family and such while I was away.

the one thing i'd make sure is that you're using wifi and not the local cell system... overseas data rates will rape you

just did a quick look and it's 2.6
  4. Soundchasr

5. Call ATT let them give you an unlock code. Then when your on vacation buy a local sim card and use that
  6. Soundchasr

Would I just find a phone store there and buy one? How much do they generally charge?

How much would the phone charges be?
  7. Soundchasr

damn. can't unlock 6 months.
  8. How long have you been on AT&T?? Also there are some third party ways to unlock google it
  9. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

Sure can, this is what I did when I was in Brazil. You have to be on WiFi though...and the quality of the call depends on the WiFi connection. But its very convenient. :)
  10. wraithevolution

wraithevolution Well-Known Member

There's another option, may not be the best for you but it may for others. My brother moved to Australia from the states some time back. Calling was always expensive! A couple years ago, we set up a Magic Jack here locally for a local number. Then I traveled to Australia and took it with me. My brother hooked it up to his computer and now has a local states number there with him and we can call anytime with that local number! And a while back, XDA released an app that allows you to port your Magic Jack number to Android so he can use his cell for his calls. So we can call cell to cell for free anytime we want!
    Make Calls Using MagicJack on your Android Phone | xda-developers