• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I write an app that connects a phone to a wireless network

Eclipse should be fine, but the issue may be more centered on the network. I had to discontinue the app we used before when we upgraded our network....
We just upgraded routers and extenders, and are utilizing a pin/VPN connection for all of our visitors. The problem with the app that we used before is that the preloaded password sometimes is changed and the app was not updated. Instead I have set up the network to have a guest network available but with a phone number as the pin. And our regular secured network connection is separate.
Another suggestion might be to use an NFC tag to program the wifi setup say at the door or front desk, and anyone who has access to NFC in their device can scan the tag, and then connect to your network.
Good luck!!

Upvote 0
I want to hide the password from the user. Is it possible to create an app that when they click on it, it connectes them to our wifi and keeps the password hidden? Thank you

I would suggest the low tech solution of having them hand you the phone long enough for you to enter the password and connect it to your network. It would be much easier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones