can individual sms tones be set for each contactSupport

Last Updated:

1. bobstar67

bobstar67 New Member

hi all
    im a new convert to the samsung galaxy s3 from the iphone and was wondering whether you can set up your contacts with and individual txt tone ???....it looks like you can set a ring tone but not a txt tone ....if there is a way could somebody let me know please be much appreciated

Advertisement
  2. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

You can with Handcent SMS. Just open the contact thread you want to change and tap the settings icon (person with gear) in upper right corner. Tap Notifications Settings and have at it. You can also set different background colors, images, change fonts, etc. for individual contacts.

If you do start using a non stock messaging app, like Handcent, be sure to turn off text notifications in the SIII settings (Settings/Sound/Default Notification/Silent) or you will get double notifications every time you receive a text.
    umeshdhingra likes this.
  3. Tyler reid

Tyler reid New Member

I don't know what sevice you have but I have a s3 and I have the option to set different yext tones for different contacts
  4. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Tyler.

I think some of the US carriers remove the option for some reason. I remember telling a Verizon user how to set up individual tones for texts only to find the option isn't there.
    funkylogik likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Do u know if that can be bypassed by an app like Go Sms mate? It seems to use its own tone selection :thumbup:
  6. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

I'd assume a third party messenger app would be able to. I guess we need a Verizon user to confirm.
    funkylogik likes this.
  7. saltz

saltz Well-Known Member

There is also an app called Ringo Lite, you can set up individual ringtones and message tones. So if you like the stock messaging app you can still use it, just follow the instructions to change the stock notification to silent. This app also sets your default ringtone and message tone for anyone that you do not have a special tone set up. It is free in the play store.
    funkylogik likes this.