Can my HTC dream run ICS? (or at least GB 2.3.5)General

1. bennylava

bennylava Well-Known Member

Hi all. I am in possession of an HTC dream. Its a brand new phone still in box. Somehow lol. Its the phone that introduced android 1.0. So yea, its old. Not real sure how, but my cousin got this this phone and he wants me to update it to the latest version of android possible for him. As we all know updating isn't real difficult, but finding the correct firmware can be.

So I saw this vid, where the guy updates the dream

HTC Dream / G1 - running Android 2.2.1 - Froyo - YouTube

And it lags just a little, not enough to be really bothersome. And if it can run froyo, I'm sure it can run Gingerbread. Maybe not extremely well like all the hot new stuff, but that really doesn't matter. Do you think it could run ICS?

Advertisement
    :
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

ICS is impossible for the hardware. Its just a 528Mhz ARM 11. FOr gingerbread, not so sure.
  3. bennylava

Ok so do yall think it can at least run 2.3.5 GB? He shows it running 2.2.1 Froyo. Surely the GB requirements aren't more than the froyo? Froyo actually looks like it runs half decent on the vid.
  4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

5. bennylava

How come 2.3.5 would be tough? Do they make it a resource hog between 2.2 and 2.3 or something?
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Not so much a resource hog as much as the new features needing more hardware.
  7. bennylava

What hardware? I'm trying to find the absolute latest the Dream can run decently.
  8. CDPlant

CDPlant Let's dooo-ooo it Guide

I have seen one ROM here that is running ICS, but if you watch the video in the first post you can see how much lag there is, it's crazy!

- I would go with a Froyo 2.2 ROM as looking through the Gingerbread ROMs they look pretty laggy too. I think 2.2 should be stable enough to run without any issues
  9. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

I have heard that Android 2.2 is probably the sweet spot for the T-Mobile HTC G1. It CAN run Android 2.3.

However, Android 2.3 is more aggressive with kicking apps our of memory, so multitasking is a bit hampered on a handset with only 192 MB of RAM. That being said, I run CyanogenMod 7.2 on my Sprint HTC Hero with absolutely no issues, but it DOES have 288 MB of RAM, but virtually the same CPU and GPU as the T-Mobile HTC G1. I think it is the RAM that is the main reason to stick with Android 2.2 on your handset. With the additional RAM of my handset, Android 2.3 is super fast and smooth.
  10. bennylava

So perhaps one of those scaled down modded ROMs of 2.3 would work fine? Or maybe not. I know that some of those mods (especially cyanogen focus on consuming minimal resources. If not then I'll just go with 2.2