Can not enter recovery mode

Last Updated:

1. Rolland985

Rolland985 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone,

I am really stuck here. I rooted my Hero using the manual rooting guide in this forum. everything seemed to go fine. Since then, I have tried ROM Manager, entering recovery mode using adb, holding down the volume button and pressing the end button, and holding down the home button and pressing the end button. They all have the same reaction, the phone will come up with the htc logo and then the screen goes blank and then the only thing I can do after that is remove the battery. Sometimes the only thing that is different is the htc logo will stay on the screen and freeze at that point, once again requiring me to remove the battery to do anything. I have tried this using three different recovery images 1.2.3, 1.5.2, and 1.6.2...all of them have the same outcome when I try to enter recovery. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Have you tried doing it from the command line?

This is described in the tutorial, but here you go:

Open a command prompt and navigate to your sdk>tools directory. From there do the following:

adb remount
    adb shell
    reboot recovery

3. ccapasso

If this doesn't work, it sounds to me like the flashing for your recovery image did not work, but keep us posted.

4. Rolland985

Yes, I did try to do it from the command line. It does the same thing. Would you recommend going back through the rooting process to make sure the recovery image is flashed properly?

I do want to add when I type in the first command adb remount I get a operation not permitted message. I do go ahead and type in the other two commands and it tries to reboot the phone, but it goes to the blank screen or htc logo and freezes as I mentioned before.

5. ccapasso

Yes I would.

Rolland985 likes this.
  6. Rolland985

Thanks for the fast reply, I will give the manual rooting another try and see if that works.

7. Rolland985

Sorry, another quick question...should I delete any of the stuff I pushed to my sdcard before trying to root again?

8. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

I wouldn't delete any of it...

of course you could also download Fresh Kitchen 1.0.5, then use it to root.. or to reboot to recovery.. or both..

9. Rolland985

myatcimead -

Thanks for the advice. I was just coming back on to say I was able to get it to work.

ccapasso -

Thanks so much for your help! Apparently the first time I rooted I must have did something wrong. I have flashed DamageControl 2.08 and I am just now starting to mess with it...once again thanks.

10. BTK-appl3killa

BTK-appl3killa Well-Known Member

i was having the exact same trouble yesterday when i was trying to flash into GB, i tried everything you did and even tried using different rom versions and didnt work but all of a sudden i tried it one more time and it just worked for some reason, it has to be a bug with rom manager if we had the exact same problem