Can not receive calls when G1 is accessing data!General

Last Updated:

1. jazzydan58

jazzydan58 New Member This Topic's Starter

I decided to purchase a G1 on a whim yesterday I quite liked the idea of one but was offered a pretty good deal on an upgrade (free phone and discounted line rental) so I carried it home and have been playing with it almost non stop, but! I have only just realised that I can not receive incoming calls!

After some detective work if my phone is accessing data using GPRS (the little g on the phone has arrows going up and down) then no one can call me!!!! (goes straight to voicemail) It seems to be fine if I am connected to 3G but I am in the UK and we dont have full 3G coverage so everytime i am in the 3G i can receive calls but if only using standard 2g/GPRS no phone calls!

I have managed to find only 1 or 2 other posts on forums on the whole of the web so could this have something to do with my simcard or do I need some sort of software update.

For the last 24 hours the G was showing up and downloads even though I was not doing anything, I have just realised that it was downloading the latest update from google but this has not fixed it for me.

Advertisement
  2. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

Yep, that's a limitation of every GPRS/EDGE phone, not just the G1.

3. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Well, UMTS is supposed to fix this - should allow data/voice access at the same time. Also, this problem isn't evident on AT&T... Just T-Mobile. I've done tests on both networks, and AT&T gives priority to voice calls (or it used to anyway; haven't tested this in a while). :mad:

4. sleebus.jones

GPRS/EDGE is not UMTS. :)

GPRS/EDGE = 2G
    UMTS = 3G

That's what UMTS works and GPRS/EDGE doesn't.

P.S. Love the avatar :D

5. richy240

No, I get it, I just haven't tried voice and data at the same time on T-Mobile's UMTS network.

Thanks man, I like yours too! I keep meaning to change it up every week or so, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet.

AND YOU'RE FROM HOUSTON?!? What part man? I am too.

6. sleebus.jones

wesssssssssssssssssside yo.

7. richy240

Northwest here; Hwy 6 & 290.

But I digress...

8. leoadias

leoadias New Member

I am using my G1 in Brazil and I cannot receive calls even using 3g network. I tried it on my city (edge) and another city with 3g (roaming) but the same error occours.

How can I disable data transfer to receive phone calls?

9. rssummers

rssummers New Member

When I first got my G1 with RC30, when on Edge I could not recieve calls if Auto Sync was enabled. This issue occured weather I was syncing or not. If I disabled auto sync and rebooted the phone the issue went away. After recieving the RC33 update, the issue seems to be resolved.