can not set up email - yahoo or gmail

Last Updated:

1. Corderoy17

Corderoy17 New Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the Hero today, and have been trying all day to set up my email but nothing has worked.

I've tried my yahoo (the account I prefer) and gmail, but neither work. I keep getting msgs from "incorrect user/password" to "mail server not responding"

I've been searching online for a few hrs now trying everything and nothing helps.

when I activated the phone the guy said that it would be a while before things like mms would be working; so would it take a while for the email to link up as well?

:confused:

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Did you set the Gmail account up when you first booted the phone, or did you already have an account?

Anyway, for Gmail, make sure you are specifying your username and email address as name@googlemail.com
    Then, the servers are imap or smtp@gmail.com

I had issues getting another mail account (Virgin Mail) to feed into the Hero & in the end, forwarded it to the Google email address.

3. t3monkey boy

t3monkey boy Member

I've never been able to set up my yahoo account, I just forward to my hotmail account. Would be interested to know if anyone has succeeded with yahoo though?

4. e17phil

e17phil Member

I had a similar problem with a Hotmail account as I hadn't set it up immediately. After I upgraded the rom I activated the account on the first boot up.

If you haven't put too much on the Hero perhaps try a factory reset.

5. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

The gmail acct should be sync'd via the gmail widget/app on the phone. You'll automatically receive your new msgs instantly once it's properly set up. I don't use any other email source besides work and I have no intention of mixing work with my personal phone. The exchange server does work though, you just have to get the exact manual settings for the server and input them yourself.

6. cheggerspop

cheggerspop Well-Known Member

To get Yahoo! email via pop/smtp, I think you need a Premium Yahoo account.

Otherwise, it's only available via their website.

Chegs.

7. Corderoy17

Corderoy17 New Member This Topic's Starter

well, I was able to sign in my google account when I first went into the app store, and have tried what petergdakin suggested with no luck.

tried lots of different settings for both yahoo and gmail and still nothing. the only thing I havent tried is switching my yahoo settings so that I'm in Asia. but nothing has worked so far so I'm going to assume that also will not work.

luckily I haven't downloaded too much so I will do a factory reset and see what happens. from what I've been reading it doesn't appear that I will be able to use yahoo unless I pay to ugrade (witch doesn't make any sense to me because I had it set up on my iphone for a year and a half without upgrading, but whatever) so I'm going to use my gmail as my primary.

so lets hope the reset works

***edit***

the reset worked! I'm now using gmail with no problems.

8. ParamedicSamier

ParamedicSamier New Member

Well I got the phone when it first came out and everything worked perfect. Just a couple days ago though I noticed yahoo mail wasn't refreshing so I went to refresh the mailbox and got an error about my username/password not correct. So I went back and checked and everything was perfect. I deleted the account and tried to redo it and got the same error. I don't think it is a problem with the phone though, I think yahoo just wants their share of the money in competition with google.

9. ishibu

ishibu Member

gmail you can setup easily and you can even transfer all your mails from yahoo to gmail. yahoo you got to pay for the pop service.