• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can OS Updates Be Stopped on Android?

Mar 12, 2016
I noticed with every Android device that I have, a software update is a TOTAL killer. It kills the life of the phone like there is no tomorrow. Is there anyway to stop an OS update from happening? I have T-Mobile and when my device went from Android 5.0 to 6.0, it just ruined everything.

I just wish I could stop an update from happening.

It's only (some) US carriers who do this, so if you buy an unlocked, unbranded device (after checking compatibility with your carrier's frequency bands) you can choose whether to accept updates or not.

Did you try backing up your data and doing a factory reset after the update? That sometimes solves update-related problems (i.e. the problem may not be the new OS but incompatibility between old caches and data and the new OS). 5 to 6 is a major update, so you are more likely to have such problems there (I should note that I've never suffered problems after an update myself, but a fair few people have reported such things).

Reactions: seVer and mikedt
Upvote 0
I noticed with every Android device that I have, a software update is a TOTAL killer. It kills the life of the phone like there is no tomorrow. Is there anyway to stop an OS update from happening? I have T-Mobile and when my device went from Android 5.0 to 6.0, it just ruined everything.

I just wish I could stop an update from happening.
Go to settings system updates and turn off auto update to Manual only

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't find an option to turn them off with Verizon Note. Big surprise there.
Sprint
d491f1c79cfe7a2eed8c8ac751400329.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones