• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can Pair anything with HTC Evo Bluetooth

are you trying to discover things through your phone or look for your phone using devices? either way make sure the "discoverable" option is checked on your phone... you may just have a faulty BT unfortunately

Yeah, I went ahead and put it on to "discoverable" but nothing. I hope its not a faulty BT Evo.

I will go to Sprint tomorrow to see what is up.

thanks for trying to help.

Upvote 0
I did it yesterday with my '08 Acura TSX. It was confusing,, but I got it. It's not just discovery mode, but then you also have to make it discoverable and it will give you 120 seconds. It does work, but you gotta really focus.

Thats great to hear!
Could you go step by step as to how you got it to pair in your car?

Thanks for all the help guys, that is why I love these forums, great community. I am digging my evo so much its just little things now to work out :D

Upvote 0
I had the same problem. Initially, I thought there was a defect in the bluetooth hardware on my first EVO so I returned it for a second. Neither phone would pair with my JVC Arsenal car stereo. Initally, it worked fine, but after my first call it automatically disconnected and would neither pair nor connect thereafter. I then went back to my old HTC Hero which worked perfectly with my car stereo. I know the bluetooth versions between the two phone are not the same which may be why so many people r having this problem.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue pairing my new evo with a mercedes E-class. This is the second evo that I have tried. When I took my phone in the first time, the sprint techs said that my phone was working fine with their equipment but the sales person went to the car with me, paired up the 1st evo that I was having trouble with and saw that although the car showed that the evo had paired with it, when i tried to make a call, it said "no service". He replaced the first evo with a second and for a couple of weeks, it worked perfectly. I have just returned from a four day trip (which I doubt has anything to do with anything) and my phone looks like it is ready to make calls, but when I try, it says "no service" and when I look at the bluetooth settings it says "paired but headset disconnected". Does anyone know of a download/fix?

Upvote 0
My brand new EVO will pair with my Parrot bluetooth car system but will not reconnect. I have to re-pair every time I get in the car and even then it often disconnects or functions only temporarily. My Blackberry 8330 worked perfectly for over a year; connected automatically every time (after pairing for the first time) and never dropped connection.

I'm seeing hundreds of EVO/bluetooth complaints on web forums but no solutions that make any sense. Guess I won't hold my breath waiting for them to admit a design flaw.....

Upvote 0
My brand new EVO will pair with my Parrot bluetooth car system but will not reconnect. I have to re-pair every time I get in the car and even then it often disconnects or functions only temporarily. My Blackberry 8330 worked perfectly for over a year; connected automatically every time (after pairing for the first time) and never dropped connection.

I'm seeing hundreds of EVO/bluetooth complaints on web forums but no solutions that make any sense. Guess I won't hold my breath waiting for them to admit a design flaw.....

the most common fix is to completely delete the pairing from the phone, and from the head unit or other device...and one issue is the fact that most people don't know how to , or don't have the ability to do the second step there with the "other device"

the problem with something like bluetooth is creating seamless integration with one device (the evo) and a plethora of other manufacturer's devices.

Upvote 0
Appreciate the response Mr. Ed but I've tried clearing both units. I realize many people are confused by today's incredible array of new technology. I should have indicated in my post that I am an advanced user (electrical engineer).... my bad.

The issue I have as an engineering nerd is that bluetooth is a standard and as such should not be so device dependent (that's why we have standards!!). It's pretty clear after just a few minutes of web research however, that Blackberries are much more reliable bluetooth communicators than 'droids are in general.

BTW, my EVO doesn't connect properly to my wife's factory Ford SYNC system either (2008 Focus) but my Berry 8330 did, even though we constantly had two phones paired with it (her Samsung and my Berry).

Upvote 0
Thought I'd post this update on my problem in case it helps someone else....

A few weeks back, I read a post where a guy theorized that his EVO/BT connection problems were related to the power management algorithms in the phone. He arrived at this conclusion after noting that his EVO would connect reliably to his car BT but only when the charge cord was plugged in. I thought he was nuts but when I left my office for the Thanksgiving holidays, I inadvertently left my wall charger behind and rather than drive 25 miles back to the office, I decided to just buy a car charger since I wanted one anyway. Well, I'll be damned if mine doesn't do the same thing! Connects to BT just fine but only when the charger is plugged in either before, or shortly after I start the car.

Disappointing that I have to live such an egregious design flaw in such an expensive phone but at least I can use my car BT now.....

Reactions: CaptainBlinky
Upvote 0

A few weeks back, I read a post where a guy theorized that his EVO/BT connection problems were related to the power management algorithms in the phone. He arrived at this conclusion after noting that his EVO would connect reliably to his car BT but only when the charge cord was plugged in. I thought he was nuts but when I left my office for the Thanksgiving holidays, I inadvertently left my wall charger behind and rather than drive 25 miles back to the office, I decided to just buy a car charger since I wanted one anyway. Well, I'll be damned if mine doesn't do the same thing! Connects to BT just fine but only when the charger is plugged in either before, or shortly after I start the car.

Disappointing that I have to live such an egregious design flaw in such an expensive phone but at least I can use my car BT now.....

the odd thing is though ...it doesn't do it on all phones...ie mine works just fine plugged in or not

Upvote 0
I was having bluetooth issues with my Evo as well... it used to pair fine with my Pioneer headunit. After a while, it randomly stopped working. I looked extensively online for a solution, called Sprint a few times, and then I finally drove an hour to the closest Sprint store, hoping they could give me a solution that didn't involve a hard reset....they couldn't. So, without any other options left, I did a hard reset and now bluetooth works again.

I would say if you really can't get it to work any other way, it may be worth it to go through the hassle of a hard reset.

Upvote 0
Design flaws don't always affect every unit produced Mr. Ed. In fact, they typically do not. Often a poor system design is the result of engineers failing to account for the the cumulative manufacturing tolerances of the individual components and/or variations in the assembly process itself. There certainly are enough documented issues with BT communication on this phone to warrant suspicion.

And of course the manufacturers always deny the problem exists because they typically have millions of units in the field by the time the issue is discovered and reported. Plus, by the time they isolate and correct the problem, it's already time to introduce the newest replacement model!

Upvote 0
I have had multiple issues with the Bluetooth feature on my phone. I bought a handsfree kit from sprint. I can pair it but can only make one call. I then have to turn the Bluetooth device off and on and repair it each time. I bought a new car, a Range Rover and I am having issue with it as well. I looked on the list of compatible devices for this particular car and it shows the EVO as device that is not fully compatible. I can pair it after 3 or 4 attempts. Then it just drops a little while later. Also cannot download my address book. I have decided to get a different phone. To me being able to successfully pair with a handsfree device is more important that having this particular phone. Im leaning towards the Epic.

Upvote 0
In case this helps: I was able to pair my EVO with my 2012 Mercedes but I had two issues. 1. When I tried to access the phone in any way (call, address book, etc) the connection would drop and screen would say "paired but not connected" 2. Could not send address book via BT to car. I have solved both issues and everything has been working perfectly for 2 weeks.

First step - on the EVO go to Menu-settings-wireless&networks-bluetooth settings-advanced settings. Check the FTP Server box. This fixed both problems.

In addition, I had Skype turned on and that also caused the connection to drop. After turning off Skype and checking the FTP Server box, it works like a champ.

Upvote 0
I had to register on this site JUST to thank you! I bought a Logitech Wireless Boombox (not cheap) and my Evo couldn't detect it. I've been banging my head against the wall since I got it; I was about to factory restore just to see if that helped. I happened on this post and gave it a shot... Detected and paired first try!!! I've even disconnected, turned off the speaker and re-paired. Works 100% now. All I had to do was plug into a wall charger. WTF is that about! Thanks again, problem solved. (seriously, though- WTF?)

Upvote 0
I know it's 2 years later, but here is the solution, and it is so simple that is laughable. You see, the issue is really a hardware problem. There needs to be more pressure on the contacts inside of the phone near the camera lens for both Bluetooth & WIFI. The solution is demonstrated in a simple You Tube video. Go to You Tube, and search for the following title: "Connection, Wifi and Bluetooth problems on HTC One X - SOLVED (not opening the phone)"

As a follow up to my post above, some people were believing that the charger needs to be connected. Plugging in the charge does put a small amount of pressure in the correct place, but for some phones it is not enough pressure. If you have been researching this issue, you have already noticed that plugging in the charger did not work for everyone. Use the method shown in the You Tube video mentioned in my first post, and your problem will be solved without the need for plugging in the charger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones