Can people track me with GPS in my phone?

Last Updated: 2010-01-16 17:34:19
  1. midwest

midwest Member

Hello all,

Midwest here again. Since I was brave enough to post a message about PDAnet, I figured I would ask this as well.

I never had a phone with GPS in it before. Can people track my location? Can I turn this "tracking" off should I wish? And is there an easy way to check for it in the phone: Sprint Hero by HTC.

Regards,
    Midwest

Advertisement
  2. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

Yes people can track you, only if you give them permission through your phone.
  3. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

There are some applications, but they are not turned on by default.

Also, see this about cellular triangulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

My family and friends use Google Latitude which will show a persons current location on Google maps. You have to join this network, so unless you have, your are not being tracked. At anytime you can turn your location off. Latitude is available for your iGoogle page and the following devices. (copy/paste)

Google Latitude is available on the following mobile devices:
    • Android-powered devices with Maps version 3.0+
    • iPhone and iPod touch devices in the Safari browser (Requires iPhone OS version 3.0+)
    • Most color BlackBerry devices
    • Most Windows Mobile 5.0 and above devices. Note: Some Windows Mobile devices don't support cell-ID location detection.
    • Most Symbian S60 devices
    • Some Sony Ericsson devices. Learn more about specific availability.
    Google Latitude
  4. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

You were just in the kitchen.
  5. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

there are no apps that can turn your GPS on according to Google. If you check out the "thieving bastads app" thread, there's an interesting debate on the most effective phone security apps that use GPS to find your phone in case you lose it.

essentially, if you don't have one of these apps, it's virtually impossible for you to be tracked. However, you can be tracked (in emergency situations) by your cell phone signal. Usually to within a thousand feet or so
  6. ibepressin

ibepressin Active Member

Cell phones are modern tracking devices regardless of it having gps or not. Don't want to get on a whole conspiracy thing. No your neighbor can't track you but the gov surely can.
  7. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Even if GPS is off they can still track you by using the phone towers. Don't worry I won't try to find you.
  8. midwest

midwest Member

Hahahaha...thanks, all. I am familiar with cell phone tower triangulation. I just was curious if every Tom, Dick and Harry can get on the internet and track my location.

If I did turn this "on", would there be a setting I could check to confirm this in the phone? Or do I HAVE to have one of these apps installed.

Have to admit, the "Thieving Bastards" app seems pretty cool. :)

Regards,
    Widwest
  9. AmericanHero

AmericanHero Well-Known Member