• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can photos that have been deleted be retrieved?

stickthis

Lurker
Jun 5, 2014
Ok. So I stuffed up.

Phone is a HTC one Max. I have not done the root conversion!!!

I accidently when not thinking started to delete ALL of my camera shot photos. I was quick and able to stop it. Thank god! So I lost a few but not all of them!

How can I get them back. Every program I try I need to root my phone! But every "how to" I find on how to root it tells me it will wipe the memory!

Please help. I am even happy to take it to someone in MELBOURNE and PAY for these photos to be reloaded in some way!! They are extremely important!

I should also mention. I have no SD card. So its on the phones internal memory.

Thankyou!

If on internal memory, I don't think they are recoverable, if they were on the SD card then you might of had a chance. You can try calling HTC and see what support says, but I would not hold my breath.

On another note would you not prefer this thread be in your device section, ?? let me know and I'll move it, you'll probably get more support there from HTC users. ;)

Upvote 0
Ok. So I stuffed up.

Phone is a HTC one Max. I have not done the root conversion!!!

I accidently when not thinking started to delete ALL of my camera shot photos. I was quick and able to stop it. Thank god! So I lost a few but not all of them!

How can I get them back. Every program I try I need to root my phone! But every "how to" I find on how to root it tells me it will wipe the memory!

Please help. I am even happy to take it to someone in MELBOURNE and PAY for these photos to be reloaded in some way!! They are extremely important!

Thankyou!

It's because any app running on Android that can do that kind of undelete data recovery needs root so it can actually get at the file system directly. And depending on the rooting procedure you often need to erase everything.....catch 22.

Upvote 0
It's because any app running on Android that can do that kind of undelete data recovery needs root so it can actually get at the file system directly. And depending on the rooting procedure you often need to erase everything.....catch 22.

Yeh that's the issue I am finding that if I root then I loose the lot.

You don't know of any roots that I can do that I don't loose everything?

Upvote 0
Is your HTC a Sprint one? There's a link to an XDA dev, Sprint HTC 1 Max rooting guide right here on Android Forums:
http://androidforums.com/one-max-all-things-root/801694-rooting-possibilities.html#post6310445
It involves loading a custom recovery, either ClockWorkMod or TWRP, which then loads the superuser rooting zip. This should not erase anything, except possibly the cache, but photos are not stored there anyway. It's a similar rooting procedure I used for my own phone and that didn't erase anything.

Do at your own risk! ...and good luck! :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Is your HTC a Sprint one? There's a link to an XDA dev, Sprint HTC 1 Max rooting guide right here on Android Forums:
http://androidforums.com/one-max-all-things-root/801694-rooting-possibilities.html#post6310445
It involves loading a custom recovery, either ClockWorkMod or TWRP, which then loads the superuser rooting zip. This should not erase anything, except possibly the cache, but photos are not stored there anyway. It's a similar rooting procedure I used for my own phone and that didn't erase anything.

Do at your own risk! ...and good luck! :thumbup:

Its a HTC One Max. I don't know if its sprint or not?? How do I know? any idea? never heard of the "sprint"

Upvote 0
Its a HTC One Max. I don't know if its sprint or not?? How do I know? any idea? never heard of the "sprint"

Who's your carrier, what country are you in, and the specific model number of your HTC, because there's different versions of this phone, e.g. GSM or CDMA. Because that may help with a search for rooting your phone. As you've never heard of Sprint, I'd assume you're not in the US. We have a forum here on AF for the Max, but there's not much in it in the way of rooting.
http://androidforums.com/one-max-all-things-root/
There's XDA Devs as well, that's one the best sources of technical info there is.
Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

There's also a couple of one click Chinese rooting tools called Kingo and Vroot that run on Windows, never used them and don't know if they would work for your HTC.

Upvote 0
as has been mentioned, your files can not be retrieved once they are deleted in STOCK configuration.

Rooting may bring you more options and since there is some talk about rooting options, lets take this discussion to the rooting section.

i would advise the op that its wise to use any one of the cloud based storage applications, such as drop box, sky drive, google drive, photobucket, etc. these apps will auto upload photos to the cloud so you have access to them from any device that can get an internet connection.

free apps and they pay for themselves many times over in instances such as this.

Reactions: stickthis
Upvote 0
Thankyou. I used to use drop box. phone I have only had for a month. There is some personal reasons (health) why I haven't had time to setup the phone correctly or backed up etc. These photos are some of the most important photos I could have ever taken.

Im in Australia.

Spoke with HTC and they said no. cant be done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones