Can Physical Keyboard Suggest/Correct/Complete Words Too?Support

Last Updated:

1. dhbuckley

dhbuckley Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From Moto:

"When you use the touchscreen keypad, your phone suggests words from your dictionary and chosen language."

From what i can tell this does NOT work when using slide out keyboard...:confused:

Confirm/deny? Any way to get auto-correct, word complete/suggest when using physical keyboard?

Many thanks and input text well, all.

David

Advertisement
  2. Droid2Newb

Droid2Newb Member

Mine still suggests words that you select on the touch screen when typing in letters on the "real" keyboard.

dhbuckley likes this.
  3. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

I usually use Swype, so when I pull out the keyboard I dont get any word suggestions. But I just switched to the multi-touch keyboard, and it does suggest words as I'm typing.

OP, are you using a different keyboard other than the stock keyboard? If so, that is probably why you're not seeing the suggetions as you type on the physical keyboard.

dhbuckley likes this.
  4. JDunc

JDunc Well-Known Member

It seems like it will suggest words for me. There is a app that you can download which will suggest words as well.

dhbuckley likes this.
  5. dhbuckley

Thanks for replies, guys.

I was going to get a D2 tonight based upon your replies but...

Amazon says I can't upgrade until 10/19 when my NE2 comes up!

Cableguynoe, if you choose Swype as input then if you pull out keyboard you get no autosuggest? If you change input method to keyboard then autosuggest works? It should autosense that kb is in use and autosuggest w/o having to change input setting, don'tcha think?

When you say "a different keyboard other than the stock keyboard" I assume you mean different software--didn't realize you could do so--must be rooted I guess.

JDunc, if you think of app name, please post or pm.

Btw, when suggestions are made you have to take thumbs off keys and tap touchscreen or can you just hit enter like on my....WAIT FOR IT...TREO 700P!!!!

Don't laugh too hard...;-)

Be well, all.

David

6. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

I still use the HTC IME from XDA Developers forums. I use the custom one I made here.
    You can set it so that it auto corrects and spell checks the hardware keyboard. But I think you have to slide open the hardware keyboard then tap the text box for the correction to start working.

I used swype for a while but I like the customization that the XDA HTC IME has.
    You don't need to be rooted to install other keyboards. You just have to go in keyboard settings and turn them on, and accept the warning that it could be bad to use other apps from evil app makers that are evil and make evil apps.

dhbuckley likes this.
  7. cableguynoe

I agree that it would be nice if it did. BUt this seems to be a function of the multi-touch keyboard. So if Swype is selected, seems this feature is disabled along with the keyboard.

Dont have to be rooted. There are many keyboard you can download and use. Since Swype already comes installed on this phone, no real need to look for others. But a few out there are SlideIt, Shapewriter, Better Keyboard, etc.
    Different look and feel to all of them. So if you're not happy with what you have, you can always shop for more;)

dhbuckley likes this.
  8. dhbuckley

Cableguynoe:

Does that mean that one cannot even enter text w/ the physical slide out keyboard without changing a setting?

Say you're using Swype and realize you need to enter lots of proper names and want to do so using the keyboard, must you change the input setting and then change back to use Swype again? So you pull out the keyboard and start pushing keys...no letters come up on screen until you change the input method?

You'll have to forgive me, I don't have my phone yet and I'm amazed this is so--sorry to harp on it...;-)

I sure would dl a keyboard that let me switch by just starting to use it...

Thanks again,

David

9. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

You can use the physical keyboard still when swype is enabled. If you want predictions on the hardware keyboard though, You can't use swype.
    Meaning: to get hardware keyboard predictions you need to have multitouch keyboard enabled. So, unless you want to change your soft keyboard to multitouch every time you want to use the hardware keyboard then switch it back to swype, you have to use the multitouch soft keyboard.

Swype has as setting in the swype keyboard setting that allows predictions when you type, but its only when you type on the soft keyboard instead of "swyping" It wont predict on the hardware keyboard.

dhbuckley likes this.
  10. cableguynoe

David,

what doomed said is correct.
    But just so it's clear...
    you can pull out the keyboard at any time and begin typing. No need to change which 'soft' keyboard is currently enabled.
    Only difference will be, as stated, no word predictions.

dhbuckley likes this.