Can repetitive ROM flashing damage chips?

Last Updated:

1. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just recall back in "the old days" (-about 1994 lol) about how it was either a general consensus or simply an unfounded rumor that flashing desktop BIOS chips could damage them, rendering the mobo useless.

Any truth to that, then or now?
    Just curious.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

there are a lot of G1s still out there and still flashing roms so its not something that I would be concerned with.

3. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

If it is true ..... then I am in big trouble ... lol :)

I flash new roms a few times per month ... 2 more are out now !!!

4. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin Member

EEPROMs (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory) are rated in thousands, or even tens of thousands of writes. So theoretically yes it's possible to wear one out, in practicality you probably couldn't even if you tried.

The damage in flashing BIOS chips is probably more related to the potential for corruption -- leaving you with a brick. That really could happen if say you lost power in the middle of a BIOS upgrade as back then they were pretty simplistic and didn't have recovery mechanisms. For upgrading firmware on a phone, just load it again if interrupted. There may be a risk if you're interrupted while doing something like flashing sprecovery.

5. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

Just my two cents:
    I had a Droid Eris, I think my constant flashing of ROMs and themes from my SD card corrupted it, either that or it was purely coincidental that not long after my constant flashing started, it was corrupted beyond repair.