Can resetting a brand new S4 damage it?Support

1. Shim1978

Shim1978 New Member

Im in dispute with a guy whom i sold a brand new unused S4 too, he messed about with it and reset it and now it's damaged and he wants a refund, is it possible to damage the internal software from resetting it?

Cheers

Advertisement
    :
  2. LeoRexus

LeoRexus Well-Known Member

The question is not if resetting damaged it... it's what he did to the phone and he realized he broke something and thought a reset would fix it. ;-)
  3. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Resetting back to factory settings WILL NOT damage the phone. I mean every phone has that ability, why would manufacturers placed that in if it would damage the phone?

Please don't refund your money back to him.
    Shim1978 likes this.
  4. Shim1978

Shim1978 New Member

I thought that but i found a site on the net which said resettig it would maybe cause some damage, hes saying to me that i should refund him and take the phone back to the shop and get it exchanged for a new one, this to me is telling me he's knacked the phone big style and thinks he can just send it back
  5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

If he says it worked when he got it and that he chose to reset it then it sure sounds like a "you break it, you bought it" scenario to me.

How is he saying it is broken?
  6. LeoRexus

That's my opinion... if it was new and unused, why reset? Only reason I can think of is that they tried to load a half-baked custom ROM or some screwy root kit and killed it.
  7. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

If so, he clearly didn't understand what "factory reset" does if he thought that would fix it. Mind you, that name is confusing, and I can understand why many people expect it to somehow reset the phone to factory status including resetting any system software changes, rather than simply erasing all user-installed apps, data and settings (which does return you to factory status if the system software is unmodified).

I can think of ways of modifying a phone such that a factory reset would leave you up the proverbial creek (e.g. install a third party keyboard, uninstall the built-in one, then do a factory reset and voila! you don't have a keyboard and can't enter your GMail login details to install a new one). But you can't do that without rooting, and the problem is caused by modifying the system and then erasing something important.

A factory reset will be harmless on an unmodified phone.
  8. LeoRexus

QFT.

That's why you should resist any refunds.. let them return/replace it.
  9. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Resetting a phone cannot do any damage. Whatever he has done is probably fixable but he broke it not you.

Even if resetting it did damage the phone (which it absolutely does not) he was the one who did it not you.
  10. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

factory resets are harmless to factory reset phones also. he probably tried to root and lost his imei, then did a factory reset to see if it fixed it, which it will not.