Can rooting be temporary? Will I lose anything in the long run?

Last Updated:

1. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Have a HTC Hero on T-Mobile in the UK. Getting tired of waiting for the official 2.1 update, and wondering if I should tinker around with some of the custom 2.1 roms.

Before I do so, It's essential I understand what I am letting myself in for. Can someone answer these questions (in a simple Yes/No fashion would be nice).

1/ Can I put my phone back to original conditon if I root it?
    2/ Will I still be able to get official HTC Hero T-Mobile 2.1 as a OTA update?
    3/ If T-Mobile ONLY release a OTA update, will I need to go back to stock T-Mobile 2.73.x firmware an then take the update?
    4/ Will I get everything on the marketplace I currently see, or will a non-official ROM mean I miss out on some stuff?

5/ Are there any other downsides to having a rooted phone with one of the custom 2.1 ROMS?

6/ Which one? I don't want tonnes of bundled apps that I can already get in the marketplace if I chose to use them, but I do want it to be reliable and have HTC's SenseUI (and fix some of the HTC Hero 1.5 bugs. Something that be pretty close to what we expect the HTC Hero official 2.1 update to look like/contain.

Many thanks,

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

The only way to do that would be to install one of the official ROMs again, wiping everything.

I'm pretty sure you could, but I have never had an OTA update so I'm not sure. You'd have to root it again afterwards obviously.

I've heard about a few ROMs that had trouble with protected apps, but all the major, established custom ROMs can view all apps.

You might have some warranty troubles if you ever had to get the phone repaired and you couldn't reinstall an official ROM.

The best android 1.5 ROM has to be Modaco 3.2. As for 2.1, there are lots of different versions out there. IMO Vilain 5.2 is the best so far, but none of them have the brilliant performance/battery life of Modaco.

EDIT: Missed the bit about yes/no answers :p Sorry.

mgillespie likes this.
  3. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, as long as rooting has no permanent effect, and I can always put it back to stock condition by flashing an official ROM again, then I'm off to tinker :) I bought a copy of MyBackupPro in preparation... for some wiping and reloading..