Can Samsung fix the Moment with 2.1?Support

Last Updated:

1. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm willing to suffer through the data lockup if 2.1 will fix the problem, but I'm concerned that it may be a hardware issue. If it is a hardware issue I would hate to get stuck with a phone that I have to reboot 20 times a day like I do now. Does the Hero suffer this same kind of problem?

Advertisement
  2. kahale

kahale Well-Known Member

no idea if it will. 2.1 will support native cdma instead of our 1.5 with patch cdma, which i suspect is causing some of the problems. i got the data lockups when upgraded to cl14. i have since downgraded to stock cj05 and the lockups went away. but now im dealing with the other issues that affected the stock firmware. :mad:

as far as i know the hero doesn't have this problem.

3. xbrokdikdogx

That is exactly what concerns me. We keep saying that the reason for some of the problems on the moment is the patched CDMA support and yet HTC appears to have been able to patch CDMA support into the Hero and not have these issues. So this leads me to believe it is either a hardware issue or an issue of Samsung not being as savvy with their coding as HTC. However if you say cj05 didn't have the data lockup I might have to try going backwards.

4. numus

numus Banned

This has been discussed on this forum and others in great great detail..
    Basic points
    - HTC has been coding android for phones since SDK 1.0 (way over a year now) and helped google with the original base code... samsung has been coding android for phones for a little over 6 months..
    - Google has implemented native CDMA support since 1.6 ... Which wasent avalible until samsung was already halfway threw with the release criteria for the moment.. to stop and recode the entire os again would have taken months..

5. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

The Hero has its issues as well friend. My first Google phone was a Hero (had two of them on a family plan for that matter) and after the first day mine simply stopped ringing and went directly to voice mail. Had it looked at by the store and then they decided to replace it. Within a weeks time the second Hero was going straight to voice mail as well. We "ditched" the Hero figuring it was a ticking time bomb.

We are just going to have to wait the issues out for a while and see if the update resolves at least the larger problems. My Blackberry did some goofy things at times and yanking out the battery was the norm. Not saying it should be expected by any means.

6. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Even back on cj05 I still had the data lock up happen to me a couple of times. I had a few on cl14 also but not as bad as I had it on cj05. Also, it happens rarely to my phone and I use it pretty heavily.

Hope this helps :)

7. xbrokdikdogx

Ok, then I guess I am going to just tough it out and hope 2.1 fixes the data lock. That really is the worst complaint I have right now. The only problems I am having at the moment is data lock, mostly when I wifi tether, usb stop working when I pdanet/azilink tether, and battery drains faster than I can charge when I tether. Yeah I know, tethering is the common denominator here, but unfortunately right now it is my only option for the internet and even though I am not using a lot of data, it just keeps happening.

8. cosine83

cosine83 Well-Known Member

Well, the phone and CDMA modem on the moment weren't built with wifi tethering in mind so it's a little more sensitive to it. And I feel you on the USB issue, it's annoying as hell.

9. ramiss

ramiss Well-Known Member

Just wondering but have you seen the threads that setting your CPU to 266 (using SetCPU) has fixed the tether lockup issue?

Richard

10. xbrokdikdogx

Yeah I run setcpu also. It actually doesn't fix the tethering, although it seems like it does help. That may just be a placebo affect though as it still randomly locks up. I use it mainly because it helps to keep the battery from draining as fast while tethering.