1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Can slingbox do this?

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i'm currently wondering if the slingbox service and app can do the following:

1. i'm cooking something in the kitchen but i also want to watch the Lakers game but the TV is around the corner and not visible. Can I use the slingbox to watch it on my laptop or possibly an Android tablet (in the future)?

2. i'm thinking about moving to seattle but I love my los angeles lakers. can i setup a slingbox at my parents' place and watch the game up in seattle through the internet?

Advertisement
  2. kentpavelka

kentpavelka Active Member

If you have Slingbox set up on your home TV system, you can watch anything on that system on your device, via Slingplayer! Works great.

3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Yep...SlingPlayer is pretty cool. It's not cheap for a mobile device, $30 I believe, but worth it to many people. Be sure you have an unlimited data plan (not that's there's any truly unlimited plan that I've ever heard of) if using it on a phone and the faster an Internet connection on the Slingbox end the better of course.

4. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

does it work over wifi?

5. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

I know the desktop SlingPlayer does. As far as the phone client goes, I would expect so, though a very brief check on Sling Media - Corporate Home didn't specify this.

Okay...took another look...can't imagine why it wouldn't work with wifi, as it mentions you can use SlingPlayer Mobile on an iPod Touch, which has only wifi.

Take a close look at the Compatibility section:

Sling Media - SlingPlayer Mobile

6. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I watch it at home over my wifi and I watch at work on 3g. I use both my notebook and my droid to watch. On your second point, if your slingbox is attached to the cable/dish/source that your parents are watching, they better like the Lakers too ;-)

7. pianodr

pianodr New Member

i can NOT get it to connect if you are using a rooted phone using wireless tether as your wifi for some reason