Can someone explain push to me?Support

Last Updated:

1. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Right now I have 3 email accounts setup with the HTC mail app. I have a Gmail account and I am wondering if I forward all my other emails to my Gmail account if that will be better for me. Am I correct in assuming the Gmail app on this phone receives the emails as they actually come in instead of looking every hour or so?

I am kind of lost on the differences, if someone could explain to me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

You basically got it. With "pull" apps, they query the database at a given interval. Think of it like checking the mail. You go out every so often and see what's there.

Push apps are always set to receive, and the server SENDS them, so you get them whenever the server does.

As long as you have auto-sync enabled on your phone, you'll get the emails the moment they come. Actually they show up faster on my phone than they did on my PC.

secretLOVER likes this.
  3. jayno20

How do I enable auto-sync?

4. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

It's enabled on its own. But if you want to putter around, hit menu on the home screen, then settings, and it's under "accounts & sync".

Alternately, put the power management widget on one of your screens and it's the 2nd icon from the right.

5. Nurseferatu

Nurseferatu Well-Known Member

I've got a WiFi in my office and my Druid :) is set to connect to it. About 50% of the time, it does. Another 50%, it can't connect. Signal Strength is always "Excellent", but I get "Cannot connect."

Whassup with that!?

6. jayno20

OK, I think I got it all setup... I am using the HTC mail app though and it seems to be pulling in my mail the second i get it on my PC. I though only the Gmail app did real push?

Also is there a way to change the overall name of the account? It says "activesync exchange something" I'd like it to just say "xxxx@gmail.com"

7. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

You also need to have "Enable Always On Mobile Data" checked. This one is under wireless and networks, mobile networks and is also enabled by default.

Do realize however that this can definitely have a sizable impact on your battery life. If you do not need to receive your email more often than every 15 mins, I would recommend disabling this. Depending on how much syncing you have going on, you can gain a couple hours up to about half a day extra battery life by disabling it.

8. jayno20

I thought the idea of push was to save battery life... it isn't checking for mail at all but when I get mail its pushed to the phone. Why would battery life be worse? From what I'm reading it should be better.

9. jayno20

OK so which app should I be using for this? The gmail app or the HTC app? Do they both do the same thing as far as push goes?