Can someone PLEASE clear this up for me!

Last Updated:

1. Levitate

Levitate Member This Topic's Starter

Okay so I live in New Zealand and we have 2 3G networks here.. Vodafone which uses 2100MHz and Telecom XT which uses 850MHz... The plans XT offers are ideal for me and I'm desperately wanting this Nexus One phone... I'm trying to put pieces together about your American network providers... from what I can tell T-Mobile is like Vodafone here with 900MHz/2100MHz towers... and it seems as if AT&T -AND- Verizon are 850MHz like Telecom XT here?

So because the Nexus is said to be coming to Verizon does that mean I can hope for a possible 850MHz capable 3G phone sometime in the next few months that will work on our Telecom XT network?

and finally... people say that its coming to Verizon locked so you can't get it working otherwise but people said that about the iPhone and you can buy that unlocked here???

Advertisement
  2. Levitate

...Please? x_x

3. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

The Nexus One's antenna supports four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900) and three 3G/UMTS Bands - 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900)

So check out GSM Coverage Maps | New Zealand for your network provider's frequencies.

sorry can't help more with specific providers from the US, they confuse me as I'm quite firmly in my european one standard for all comfy place ;)

4. illutionz

illutionz Well-Known Member

Nexus One supports UMTS band 1/4/8 which means 900/1700/2100 which means Telecom XT won't be able to use 3G data with Nexus One (just like AT&T)

Verizon is NOT GSM/UMTS provider, they're CDMA and it's another different technology altogether (they don't have removable SIM card... Technically they do but only some carriers in the world uses RUIM and it's still different technology altogether)

5. Levitate

So I should abandon all hope for a 850MHz WCDMA (AT&T) version of the Nexus One? :(

6. illutionz

illutionz Well-Known Member

Yes you should at the moment...