• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can someone please explain the internal memory?

sarspants

Nov 7, 2009
Yesterday, according to the internal memory widget, I had used up 143mb of my allotted 159mb. Needing more space, I uninstalled two apps, (Paper Toss and PDF Viewer) that were about 3MB each. I also cleared my dalvik cache. My phone was then down to 136MB used. Today, my phone is back up to 143MB used. I haven't installed any apps since yesterday. What happened to those 6MB that I freed up?? (Rooted and running Fresh 2.0d and I am not using apps2sd)

Yesterday, according to the internal memory widget, I had used up 143mb of my allotted 159mb. Needing more space, I uninstalled two apps, (Paper Toss and PDF Viewer) that were about 3MB each. I also cleared my dalvik cache. My phone was then down to 136MB used. Today, my phone is back up to 143MB used. I haven't installed any apps since yesterday. What happened to those 6MB that I freed up?? (Rooted and running Fresh 2.0d and I am not using apps2sd)

I downloaded cachemate, and love it. It is a super easy cache clearing app with a bunch of other stuff included... I found it makes my phone run a little smoother and have more internal available memory....

;)

Upvote 0
yeah.... i am guessing cache is being created by other apps installed..

you dont have a2sd installed.
you are running 2.1 ROM

so.. do you have any lag issues?? with so much internal memory used up???
I am on 2.1 ROM too, when i have 109mb used... my phone had lags.

Upvote 0
yeah.... i am guessing cache is being created by other apps installed..

you dont have a2sd installed.
you are running 2.1 ROM

so.. do you have any lag issues?? with so much internal memory used up???
I am on 2.1 ROM too, when i have 109mb used... my phone had lags.

Dan, I have 106 mb used. My phone doesn't lag unless I really try to rush it through multiple tasks. Like when I leave something "running" by pressing the home key instead of backing out of it, and then immediately start another app or use the internet, etc. And even then it doesn't lag to the point that it really bothers me. It only has a small processor, and isn't meant to be a crazy multitasking beast... But it does work if you need it to. Anyway, From what I've read and heard around here, I wouldn't run a2sd because You could have issues if something were to happen to the sd and I don't have a ton of apps to store. I usually delete the apps I don't use or have a use for. Most I've ever had or needed was about 35 at once. And I really only used prob about 10 of those...

Anyway, if you're comfortable with a2sd and want to spend the money on a class 6 card for it to run, then by all means try it out! I've heard good things about it, but I personally just don't think I need it... Good luck, hope it works out...;)

Upvote 0
here is some advice and will help a lot with the cache from google maps and the browser. If you are rooted, download a app called TA Utility. This app will allow you to move your browser and other cache's to your memory card. Then if you want to clear the cache from your memory card, use cachemate to clear it. There is an option to clear caches on the memory card. It's the first option in settings. This works great for me. I am going to be using ap2sd soon so these issues should go away very soon.

Upvote 0
I have also recently had a low internal memory issue. I have about 12 apps loaded on the phone and had 0Mb of memory available. Services were crashing like mad. I removed several apps, cleared out browser, google maps cache, and voicemail and texts. My email inbox(Not GMAIL) said it was empty BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........as I was surfing thru the apps manager, I think I found my problem. I have my phone set up to check my own ISP's POP email address using the MAIL service in the phone. I found the MAIL program in the application manager and it said it was using 107Mb of memory....even with an empty inbox. I hit the clear data button and POOF....I now have 107Mb of free memory and the phone has been working great since then. I did have to go back into the MAIL program and re-enter my email service POP settings since all the config data was lost in the process. I also noticed a pile of dead emails on the SD card as well.
Not sure how many people use the pop MAIL service in the phone, but it may be worth checking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones