• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can someone point me in the direction...

uhhhhh.... versions? I actually didnt know there were other versions.... I found this one in the android market.... and once I rooted my phone, I think it still just has Froyo 2.2 on it... it looks the same that it used to... lol see I really am new at this... ROM is the thing that Froyo is, right? I dont know what a kernel is, and I still have figured out how to do this nandroid thing... I am really trying to understand, so thank you for all the patience you all have provided me with.

Upvote 0
uhhhhh.... versions? I actually didnt know there were other versions.... I found this one in the android market.... and once I rooted my phone, I think it still just has Froyo 2.2 on it... it looks the same that it used to... lol see I really am new at this... ROM is the thing that Froyo is, right? I dont know what a kernel is, and I still have figured out how to do this nandroid thing... I am really trying to understand, so thank you for all the patience you all have provided me with.

Great! We can start from there! Froyo is what the 2.2 version of the Android OS is labeled. We could call it Fred, but Google chose to call it Froyo. The Kernel is the core of the operating system, it is what lets the software tell the hardware what to do, the interface between the two. A ROM is generally both of those things combined, the OS and the kernel. They can be combined in different ways to optimize different aspects. So you could leave the stock OTA OS with a custom netarchy kernel, or a Fresh OS with a kings kernel. Those are things you can play around with later.
To get your wireless tether working, go to the link in my previous post and click on wireless tether 2_0_5-pre8.apk and it will take you to the download page. Click on the link and it will download the apk file to your download folder on your sd card. Use a file manager like estrongs (what I use) or astro (what alot of people use) and navigate to the download folder on the sd card. Click on the 2_0_5-pre8.apk and it will launch a window telling you that you are about to install a different version than what you already have. Tell it ok and let it install. Once complete, try to tether and let us know how it goes. If it doesn't work don't despair! We will get you where you want to be!

Reactions: harukasan73
Upvote 0
okay I will try that first, I may not get to it until tomorrow since I have to cook dinner soon, but thank you! I had no idea there was more to it than just downloading the first one I find in the market. the whole rom and kernel thing... well thats over my head for now, but I am sure I will get the hang of it in no time! thank you once again for the very precise answer... thats how I prefer to do things.. sometimes the guide may miss a small detail or something, you know? thank you again!

Upvote 0
To get your wireless tether working, go to the link in my previous post and click on wireless tether 2_0_5-pre8.apk and it will take you to the download page. Click on the link and it will download the apk file to your download folder on your sd card. Use a file manager like estrongs (what I use) or astro (what alot of people use) and navigate to the download folder on the sd card. Click on the 2_0_5-pre8.apk and it will launch a window telling you that you are about to install a different version than what you already have. Tell it ok and let it install. Once complete, try to tether and let us know how it goes. If it doesn't work don't despair! We will get you where you want to be!

THAT WAS IT!!!!! Oh my gosh!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I even downloaded your estrongs, and I really like it! wow this is great! thank you so very much! Do you also recommend those other estrongs apps? Im so happy! thank you! :) :) :)

Upvote 0
THAT WAS IT!!!!! Oh my gosh!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I even downloaded your estrongs, and I really like it! wow this is great! thank you so very much! Do you also recommend those other estrongs apps? Im so happy! thank you! :) :) :)

I fall in the camp that doesn't think you should unnecessarily kill apps just because. Every now and again something hangs and you need to kill it and that is when estrongs task manager is good. ATK wants to kill everything, estrongs is easier just to kill one thing with out having to de-select all the others. Download Titanium and you can uninstall the Sprint bloatware (unless you like it! Personally, I am not a NASCAR/NFL/Etc. fan. To make your back ups and start playing with ROMs download ROM Manager. From there you can make a nandroid (think of a complete back up image of your pc hard drive via ghost), change recovery's and go a little deeper and flash new ROMs or kernels. Of course you can leave everything just as you have it now and just use it to make a back up so that if an app gets crazy you can "restore" to a previous time before the app thats screwing up was installed.

I am glad you got your tethering working!

Upvote 0
Okay, I did some looking around, and found this site: How to create a full backup (Nandroid) of your HTC EVO

I tried following the directions, but I didnt see the word nandroid on the screen this guy speaks of.... so heres what I did so far, and I wonder if this was the right choice: I downloaded quick boot from the android market, I brought it up, and chose recovery, which then rebooted my evo, and I looked over the choices: reboot system now, usb-ms toggle (not sure what this is), backup/restore, flash zip from sd card (dont know this one either...is it a rom thing?), wipe (I have a pretty good idea what this is: formatting?), partition sd card (I understand this), other, power off... I chose backup/restore, then I was presented with more choices: return, nand backup, nand + ext backup (no idea, unless ext means exit?), nand restore (this must be if your evo pukes), backup google proprietary files (dont know this), restore google proprietary files (restore the thing I dont know, lol)... I chose nand backup.... did I choose the correct one?

Upvote 0
Okay, I did some looking around, and found this site: How to create a full backup (Nandroid) of your HTC EVO

I tried following the directions, but I didnt see the word nandroid on the screen this guy speaks of.... so heres what I did so far, and I wonder if this was the right choice: I downloaded quick boot from the android market, I brought it up, and chose recovery, which then rebooted my evo, and I looked over the choices: reboot system now, usb-ms toggle (not sure what this is), backup/restore, flash zip from sd card (dont know this one either...is it a rom thing?), wipe (I have a pretty good idea what this is: formatting?), partition sd card (I understand this), other, power off... I chose backup/restore, then I was presented with more choices: return, nand backup, nand + ext backup (no idea, unless ext means exit?), nand restore (this must be if your evo pukes), backup google proprietary files (dont know this), restore google proprietary files (restore the thing I dont know, lol)... I chose nand backup.... did I choose the correct one?

The instructions you found are for clockwork recovery, and you have ra recovery. You did the correct thing to do a nand backup

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones