• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can the device name be set or changed in the Galaxy Note?

Yet another dumb @$$ question from yours truly.

Is there a way to set the device change on the Galaxy Note? I am referring to the network device name as you would set for virtually any networkable device like a PC, Printer, Tablet, ect.

The reason for my question is that for some reason when you look at the attached devices on my netgear wireless router, the Note is given the name of the last device that was connected to the router, yet all the other info like the Lan IP and the MAC are correct. This is causing some minor confusion on the networks with name resolutions.

Most appreciated.

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and I could not find it using those settings. I used Settings-More Settings (Wireless and Networks)-Nearby Devices ... turn on file sharing and voila Device Name.

I hoped this helped

My Windows Media Player (on my Win XP system) is finding the phone (galaxy note ii) as "Unknown Device". Is there a way to set THAT device name? It claims under wifi direct that the name is Android_something...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones