• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can the Droid be the client in a tether setup?

ralphjb

Nov 13, 2009
I searched on this, but could not find an answer.

My question is about using the Droid as a client tethered to a GSM phone when travelling in Europe. I have read about PDAnet, but I gather this is strictly for tethering a laptop to the Droid for Internet access.

Any answer would be appreciated.

*yes
I've 'tethered' to a Palm Pre, iPhone, Nokia N900? with no issues.
Tethering = Host phone acts a Wifi hot spot

Thanks so much for the quick reply! As you say, you can tether. I used to do this all the time with an Ipaq PDA to a Bluetooth enabled phone. My thought is when travelling in Europe to pair the Droid with a Bluetooth GSM phone and get emails, Internet, etc. that way. But the Droid does not seem to do this natively.

I am hoping to find a solution short of rooting the phone, if there is one.

Upvote 0
What am I invisible?

Who said that?? I don't see anyone. :p

Yes, you are correct. A rooted Droid can wifi tether. I do it with my Windows 7 laptop on fishing trips. I have company proprietary software that will not run on the Droid. So I have to lug the laptop around. Used to use an aircard when on AT&T and it would not get 3g while out in the boat. It was painfully slow with the company software. Now it blazes!!

I know the above is not totally on-point, but it does show that the Droid can tether.

Upvote 0
In Other words, YES the DROID can act as the client - but successful use of the DROID as a client in a Tethering situation depends upon the device used as the server, to continue the use of the terminology that you used.

Flahusky should have more info since he has already done it....

@alostpacket - the questions is not only can but also how, preferably without rooting

Upvote 0
I searched on this, but could not find an answer.

My question is about using the Droid as a client tethered to a GSM phone when travelling in Europe. I have read about PDAnet, but I gather this is strictly for tethering a laptop to the Droid for Internet access.

Any answer would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! As you say, you can tether. I used to do this all the time with an Ipaq PDA to a Bluetooth enabled phone. My thought is when travelling in Europe to pair the Droid with a Bluetooth GSM phone and get emails, Internet, etc. that way. But the Droid does not seem to do this natively.

I am hoping to find a solution short of rooting the phone, if there is one.

Obviously he was not thinking about using the WiFi, he was thinking about using BT. Hence, it is not a matter of knowing how to turn on WiFi but rather realizing that WiFi would be the better solution than attempting BT....

It's pretty clear to me that the OP was a bit confused, hence the questions.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the replies thus far, but none, as far as I can tell, answer the specific question. Is anyone doing what I ask?

Thanks.

The answer is yes in a sense. You probably will not be able to do it via Bluetooth but as long as you can find a device that can provide a WiFi signal then the droid would be able to run off that. I am sure there are lots of GSM phones that can act as a wifi hotspot.

Upvote 0
Wow. Lot of posts since I last looked.

I have a GSM phone than can be used via Bluetooth as an Internet server, a Moto Razr 9. It does not have wifi, hence my question about utilizing Bluetooth. I appreciate that wifi would be faster, etc. My past experience of using a phone paired with a PDA was satisfying enough, as I used primarily for emailing.

If I got a new phone for Euro use (which of course is another idea) I'd select an Android phone and simply use it while there rather than the Droid. But was hoping to avoid another purchase.

If I understand the one comment: Flahusky should have more info since he has already done it....

This person has done this with Bluetooth?

Thanks to one and all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones